[comp.lang.smalltalk] Berkeley Smalltalk on Sun 3?

mike@thumper.UUCP (09/01/87)

Does anyone know who made the modifications to Berkeley Smalltalk to
allow it to run on the Sun 3?  Modifications to at least the bitblt
code would be required.  I have vague memories of a thing called a
"bstool" that ran under the Sun window system, but I can't recall
who was responsible -- it wasn't Berkeley, though.

Thanks for any info,

	Mike Caplinger (mike@bellcore.com, {ihnp4,decvax}!bellcore!mike)

obrien@aero.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <834@thumperbellcore.com> mike@thumperbellcore.com (Mike A. Caplinger) writes:
>Does anyone know who made the modifications to Berkeley Smalltalk to
>allow it to run on the Sun 3?  Modifications to at least the bitblt
>code would be required.  I have vague memories of a thing called a
>"bstool" that ran under the Sun window system, but I can't recall
>who was responsible -- it wasn't Berkeley, though.

That was me.  (Among several others.)

The standard "BS II" package (getting rather old by now, at least in the image)
has a target in its Makefile called "bs.tool" which does BitBlt stuff
through the suntools library.  The standard "bs" target has hard code in
it for the Sun-1 monochrome display.  The correct answer probably lies in
between those: someone would have to do "pixrect" coding.  I never have.

One thing I did have to do was to change the input stuff to get around
the fact that SunOS 3.0 got rid of unencoded keyboard input, which
Smalltalk depended on.  Later releases have put that back, but I've
never bothered to take my code out (I use ParcPlace PS now anyhow).

On the whole I'd recommend getting ParcPlace Systems' product unless
you've got a real need to insert your own primitive methods, or are
porting to a new machine.
--
--------
Mike O'Brien