[comp.lang.smalltalk] Distributed Object Oriented Programming

fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts) (09/29/87)

(I've just started following this list, so this question may have
 already been beat to death.  If so, I'm sorry ;-))

We have a heterogeneous Unix based network (Cray 2, Amdahls, Vaxen,
Silicon Graphics workstations) and are just begining to do distributed
applications -- mostly the hard way.  Some of my coworkers are
investigating RPC and related issues in standard procedural languages,
and I would like to investigate RPC in message passing systems.

It seems to me that an object oriented message passing language would
be ideal for distribution.  By designing a message passing mechanism
which recognized machine boundries and "filtered" messages to be in an
appropriate form as they cross the boundry, it should be possible to
hide all of the data representation and (network) message passing
details from the programmer.  By implementing a network name space, it
should be possible to export classes, so that instantiations could
occure across network boundries.  These seem to be the two big
problems.

Has anyone done any work in this area?  Can anyone point me to
references before I go reinvent the wheel.  (What I want to do is
distribute SmallTalk between my Cray 2 and an Iris workstation, but
I'm having bureacratic problems with the SmallTalk license which are
too painful to discuss.)

Any help, discussion, or pointers would be appreciated.

Marty

crowl@cs.rochester.edu (Lawrence Crowl) (09/30/87)

In article <2916@ames.arpa> fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov.UUCP
(Marty Fouts) writes:
>It seems to me that an object oriented message passing language would
>be ideal for distribution.  Has anyone done any work in this area?

I couldn't get mail to you, so I'll shout.

Write to the University of Washington Computer Science Department and ask for
everything they've got on Eden, Emerald, and their heterogeneous network stuff.
Eden is an operating system and Emerald is a programming language.  Both are
distributed and object-oriented.

Another thing you should look at is the Argus system from MIT.  Barbara Liskov
is the primary person behind this work.  It is a distributed extension to (or
environment for) the object-oriented CLU programming language.

These should give you a start.  Good luck.
--
  Lawrence Crowl		716-275-9499	University of Rochester
		      crowl@cs.rochester.edu	Computer Science Department

jans@tekchips.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (09/30/87)

<<<It seems to me that an object oriented message passing language would be
ideal for distribution...  Has anyone done any work in this area?  Can anyone
point me to references before I go reinvent the wheel.>>>

Most *real work* that I am familiar with has been done by Dave Thomas, et. al.
at Carleton University.  (I don't mean to slight others, but Dave's stuff is
actually running and apparently usefully so!)  He came to Tek and gave a talk
a few weeks ago that set us all on fire!  There are about a dozen papers that
should be available through Carleton.  There are also a few papers in the
OOPSLA `86 proceedings, available through ACM (ACM order #548861), and I see
at least one or two that may be applicable in the program for OOPSLA `87,
which happens next week.

Sources:
David A. Thomas, School of Computer Science, Carleton University, Ottawa,
Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6.
Association for Computing Machinery, 11 W 42nd St, New York, NY 10036.

<<<(What I want to do is distribute SmallTalk between my Cray 2 and an Iris
workstation, but I'm having bureacratic problems with the SmallTalk license
which are too painful to discuss.)>>>

And you aren't even trying to sell it!  Tell us about it!

:::::: Software Productivity Technologies    ---    Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 500, MS 50-470	(w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM	Beaverton, OR 97077	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner @telesoft) (10/01/87)

> It seems to me that an object oriented message passing language would
> be ideal for distribution.

I believe that a group at Xerox PARC is working on this (and has been for
some time) as part of their extended/remote office work.

-David
sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (10/02/87)

A number of langauges which would be good for distributed oo
programming are described in the book Object-Oriented Concurrent
Programming editted by Akinori Yonezawa and Mario Tokoro.  It is in
the Computer Systems Series published by MIT Press.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				cbosgd!osu-eddie!verber

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (10/03/87)

><<<It seems to me that an object oriented message passing language would be
>ideal for distribution...  Has anyone done any work in this area?  Can anyone
>point me to references before I go reinvent the wheel.>>>

I haven't read this book yet, but it seems appropriate:

	Akinori Yonezawa and Mario Tokoro, ed.
	Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming.
	The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1987.

Contents:

	Akinori Yonezawa & Mario Tokoro.
	Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming: An Introduction.

	Henry Lieberman.
	Concurrent Object-Oriented Programming in Act 1.

	Gul Agha and Carl Hewitt.
	Concurrent Programming Using Actors.

	Akinori Yonezawa, Etsuya Shibayama, Toshihiro Takada and Yasuaki Honda.
	Modelling and Programming in an Object-Oriented Concurrent
	Language ABCL/1.

	Etsuya Shibayama aand Akinori Yonezawa.
	Distributed Computing in ABCL/1.

	Yasuhico Yokote and Mario Tokoro.
	Concurrent Programming in ConcurrentSmalltalk.

	Yutaka Ishikawa and Mario Tokoro.
	Orient84/K: An Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming Language
	for Knowledge Representation.

	Pierre America.
	POOL-T: A Parallel Object-Oriented Language.

	Pierre Cointe, Jean-Pierre Briot and Bernard Serpette.
	The Formes System: A Musical Application of Object-Oriented
	Concurrent Programming.

	Giuseppe Attardi.
	Concurrent Strategy Execution in Omega.

Phew...  It's amazing how much harder it is to type names that are not
mnemonic to you :-)

Jacob Gore				gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{gargoyle,ihnp4,chinet}!nucsrl!gore

eugene@pioneer.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <302@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) writes:
>the book Object-Oriented Concurrent
>Programming editted by Akinori Yonezawa and Mario Tokoro.

My secretary keyed in the refer for the articles in this book.
If I get two YEA's in mail, I will post it.  I'm not overly impressed,
but if you see the contents you might think otherwise.  I purchased it
on US Government money.  Rarely MY money.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene