[comp.lang.smalltalk] bug in PD smalltalk

budd@mist.cs.orst.edu (Tim Budd) (10/06/87)

For all of you with SUN workstations, or similar machines that complain
about deferencing null pointers, and who tried compiling my PD smalltalk
system that was just posted to comp.src.unix, there is a small problem....

In the file name.c, routine newSymbol, there is a line

newSym = basicAt(symbols, hash+1);
if (streq(str, charPtr(newSym)))

which should be

newSym = basicAt(symbols, hash+1);
if (newSym && streq(str, charPtr(newSym)))

so sorry.
--tim budd

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (10/13/87)

In article <390@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> budd@mist.cs.orst.edu (Tim Budd) writes:
>For all of you with SUN workstations, or similar machines that complain
>about deferencing null pointers, and who tried compiling my PD smalltalk
>system that was just posted to comp.src.unix, there is a small problem....

You might want to run Little Smalltalk through lint.  I'm porting it to the
Mac as a background task and have run into several problems that could be found
by lint.  Mostly 16-bit/32-bit type problems but at least one call to fprintf
without stderr.

>--tim budd

Jerry Whitnell                           It's a damn poor mind that can only
Communication Solutions, Inc.            think of one way to spell a word.
						-- Andrew Jackson