>From: PAULMERCER
Subject: RE: Smalltalk (Re: Msg 2208)
Date: 26-NOV 03:29 Developers' Corner

I have a onepage work-in-progress description of Apple's Smalltalk 1.0.
It does away with the PARC MVC user interface and directly substitutes
it with MacApp. Therefore, it won't be compatible with user interface
code from Smalltalk-80. But this seems like the way to go on the Mac.

It also mentions that it should be done in '88 and will be sold thru
APDA. The guy at Apple to get more info is Harvey Alcabes.

Paul :)

-------

Subject: RE: Smalltalk (Re: Msg 2212)
Date: 27-NOV 01:07 Developers' Corner

Where did you get that info? I want to know more about it. Is it real
Smalltalk? It has an Interpreter or a Compiler? It is a Development
System to create REAL double-clickable apps or needs a Run-time module?
It has Multiple-Inheritance? It works under MultiFinder? Well ,I think
that are enough

questions up to now.Please let me know anything you know about it.
        _danny PS:I'm excited about it! Wow!

------

Subject: RE: Smalltalk (Re: Msg 2214)
Date: 27-NOV 01:22 Developers' Corner

I got the info from a data sheet given out at OOPSLA '87.  I'm no
Smalltalk guru but Smalltalk has always been an interpreter.  I think
this version is derived from Smalltalk .04 which is being distributed
by APDA at a VERY REASONBLE $50 [actually $75 -mdr].  Since this is a
direct port of Smalltalk 80 lvel 1, I don't think it has multiple
inheritance.

I have not seen the actuall system but the sheet had a screen dump.  I
would certainly be disappointed if it didn't work under Juggler.

Please note the above info is merely my interpretation and may be
totally untrue.  You should send some mail to Harvey Alcabes of the
Tools & Languages group for definitive info.

It looks pretty neat.

Paul :)

-----

[I'm tempted to omit this message so that Harvey doesn't get swamped with
100 calls.  But, people will probably be reasonable about not calling -mdr]
Subject: RE: Smalltalk (Re: Msg 2217)
Date: 28-NOV 18:21 Developers' Corner

Harvey Alcabes works for Apple Computer Tools & Languages.  You can get
in touch with him by calling (408) 996-1010, which is the Apple main
switchboard in Cupertino.

peter

----
--
	Reed College -- Portland, Oregon -- 503/775-7003 (before 9am)