[comp.lang.smalltalk] Blue Book errors?

graver@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (01/07/88)

Does anyone have a list of Blue Book* errors, typos, etc.?

* 'Smalltalk-80, The Language and Its Implementation' by Goldberg and Robson

ken@pdn.UUCP (Ken Auer) (01/08/88)

In article <80500024@uiucdcsp>, graver@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anyone have a list of Blue Book* errors, typos, etc.?
>

> * 'Smalltalk-80, The Language and Its Implementation' by Goldberg and Robson

There is a "complete list" in "The Smalltalk-80 Programming System:
Reference Guide and Release Notes" shipped with ParcPlace Systems VI2.2.
This includes all the known bugs since the third printing (1985).

Many corrections have also appeared in the Smalltalk-80 newsletter from
ParcPlace Systems (and Xerox in the past).  Most notably a list of bugs
in the second printing are in the Sept. 1984 Smalltalk-80 newsletter #4.

Perhaps they would make that list available to you.

	ParcPlace Systems
	2400 Geng Road
	Palo Alto, CA 94303

Ken Auer					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!ken		Mail stop LF-207
Phone: (813) 530-8307				P.O. Box 2826
						Largo, FL  34649-9981

"The views expressed above do not necessarily reflect the views of my
employer, which by no means makes them incorrect."

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (01/09/88)

In article <80500024@uiucdcsp> graver@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Does anyone have a list of Blue Book* errors, typos, etc.?
>* 'Smalltalk-80, The Language and Its Implementation' by Goldberg and Robson

Your Smalltalk80 documentation should contain a section about bugs and typos
in the blue and orange book.
If this documentation is not public available at your site, I may send you
a description of the more serious bugs. (The whole list is a bit longish)

	Andreas Toenne

michael@orcisi.UUCP (Michael Herman) (01/09/88)

> Does anyone have a list of Blue Book* errors, typos, etc.?
> * 'Smalltalk-80, The Language and Its Implementation' by Goldberg and Robson

The Blue Book's implementation of Rotation doesn't work properly when
used with the same book's implementation of Bitblt.  A couple of us
from Waterloo "discovered" this a few years ago.  It was checked out
and acknowledged by Robson.

The problem was discovered while trying to rotate small 32x32 or 64x64
bitmaps.  I believe the problem occurred then the source and
destination bitmap were the same bitmap and the width of the rectangle
was the same as the word size of the machine (or something like that).

If anyone has a fix, I would still be interesting in looking at it.

Michael Herman
Optical Recording Corporation
141 John Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M5V 2E4

UUCP:	{mnetor,yetti,utgpu}!geac!orcisi!michael
ALSO:	michael@orcisi.uucp