[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk for the Mac SE?

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (02/06/88)

Is there a Smalltalk which:
    - exists now
    - runs on the Macintosh SE

I'm aware of the unsupported Smalltalk available through APDA, but I've heard
that it doesn't work on the SE.  APDA isn't real, uh, helpful on this point.
Has anybody out there tried it?

	Jeff Stearns			jeff@tc.fluke.COM
	John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.	(206) 356-5064

(I'm also aware that I could buy an IBM PC and run the implementations from
Softsmarts or Digitalk, but IBM != Mac.  Many consider this a blessing.)
--
	    Jeff Stearns
    Domain: jeff@tc.fluke.COM

jspear@afit-ab.arpa (Jon L. Spear) (02/09/88)

In article <2834@fluke.COM> jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) writes:
>Is there a Smalltalk which:
>    - exists now
>    - runs on the Macintosh SE

From APDAlog V3, N1, Jan88, page 30, Smalltalk-80(TM) v.0.4 runs on Mac
plus, SE or II with at least 1MB RAM, hard disk recommended. It's based
on an early version of the current Xerox (nee ParcPlace) product, but is
currently unsupported. Rumor has it that Apple is working on a supported
version, but who knows... You get 4 ds floppies and a 94 page manual for
$75 + $1.13 shipping, but you must first join APDA ($20/yr, (206)251-6548).

Xerox's spinoff ParcPlace Systems offers three versions of Smalltalk-80
for the Mac, with support (if you are willing to pay for it). There are
two versions for the Mac Plus or SE (but run on the II), a stripped down
one for about $700, and a full developers package for $995. A version
optimized for the Mac II is $1295. Too rich for me, but ParcPlace will
tell you it is a bargain. If you are a Degree-Granting Educational
Institution, you can get the latter two for $99.50 or $129.50. All
require at least 2MB RAM. These are the definitive Smalltalk-80
environments with essentially the same features as and compatibility
with Smalltalk-80 for the Sun, Apollo, or HP workstations. I don't have
their blurb in front of me, but I think they claimed to be able to use
desk accessories and are even multifinder compatible. They are at
(415)859-1000.

I have no experience or connection with any of the above, but hope to
have seen one or two of them in the next few months. Oh, there is also
rumor that the Smalltalk/V people (with a popular Messy-DOS Smalltalk)
may be working on a Mac version.

- Jon Spear, jspear@afit-ab.arpa

With computers we can make millions, and soon billions of mistakes each second.

fritzson@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (Richard Fritzson) (02/09/88)

In article <281@afit-ab.arpa> jspear@afit-ab.arpa (Jon L. Spear) writes:
>Oh, there is also
>rumor that the Smalltalk/V people (with a popular Messy-DOS Smalltalk)
>may be working on a Mac version.

Digitalk (the Smalltalk/V people) are in fact well along with their
Mac version of Smalltalk/V. They demonstrated it for the first time at
OOPSLA 87 in October 1987. It looked great. They said (then) to look
for it during 1988.

All the demos were on Mac IIs stuffed with memory
and wearing beautiful SuperMac monitors, but they did say it was going
to be able to run on smaller machines.
	-Rich Fritzson
	 ARPA: fritzson@prc.unisys.com
	 UUCP: {sdcrdcf,psuvax1,cbmvax}!burdvax!fritzson

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com (02/11/88)

jspear@afit-ab.arpa (Jon L. Spear) writes:
In article <2834@fluke.COM> jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) writes:

-> Oh, there is also
->rumor that the Smalltalk/V people (with a popular Messy-DOS Smalltalk)
->may be working on a Mac version.
It's worth mentioning why ST/V is so popular.  Two reasons:  it's $100,
or one *tenth* of ST/80 for the same hardware; and the program is
realistic about what you can do with an AT, and went for usability
over compatibility.  If the rumor is true, low-end Mac users are
probably best off waiting for this product, both to save money and
to have a product that won't bring their hardware to its knees.

Parenthetically, the ST/V manual is a good book for first-time
Smalltalkers.

Isaac Rabinovitch
Disclaimer:  Just because I think you're wrong, doesn't
             mean I don't think you're a fun person!
:-)

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (02/25/88)

In article <3103@cup.portal.com> Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com writes:
>It's worth mentioning why ST/V is so popular.  Two reasons:  it's $100,
>or one *tenth* of ST/80 for the same hardware; and the program is
>realistic about what you can do with an AT, and went for usability
>over compatibility.  If the rumor is true, low-end Mac users are
>probably best off waiting for this product, both to save money and
>to have a product that won't bring their hardware to its knees.

This statement sounds curious to me, since I had heard that ParcPlace Smalltalk
(which is Smalltalk-80?) ran as fast on a Mac as the original Xerox PARC
Smalltalk (76 or 80?) ran on a Dorado (which is a firebreathing ECL dragon
of a personal computer).  Having used Smalltalk-76 on a Dorado, that sounds
plenty fast to me!

Looking at the price of the ParcPlace product (gulp!), I have no reservations
about your money comment, but is the speed one really justified?

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard