[comp.lang.smalltalk] Softsmarts

edusoft@ecf.toronto.edu (Educational Software) (02/18/88)

Does anyone out there have any idea what Softsmarts new phone number is?
The number I have for them is (415)327-8100 and has been disconnected.
I need the number to find out about development contracts, etc.
	Thanks,
		Rick...

ken@pdn.UUCP (Ken Auer) (02/22/88)

In article <479@mv03.ecf.toronto.edu> edusoft@mv03.ecf.UUCP (Educational Software) writes:
>Does anyone out there have any idea what Softsmarts new phone number is?
>The number I have for them is (415)327-8100 and has been disconnected.
>I need the number to find out about development contracts, etc.
>	Thanks,
>		Rick...

Steve Burbeck (Director of R&D, Softsmarts) has informed me that he has been
trying to post an article explaining Softsmarts predicament, but his news
feed has been having problems.  He did send me a hardcopy of the article
he has tried to post.  Last I heard, he was still trying to post it, and
I would rather not type it in (it's three full single-spaced pages
long, and I think Steve should be the one to post it -- there's some
fairly controversial stuff).  However, I think many of you may like to find
out what the first couple of lines say:

	"As of Jan 22, 1988, Softsmarts, the company that brought you
	Smalltalk-80 for PC/AT's, has ceased to do business.  We are
	reluctantly filing for bankruptcy."

Steve went on to give a lengthy description/analysis of the reasons for
this predicament... I'd rather not go into it, however, at the risk of
starting a major discussion without Steve (or any of the representatives
of Softsmarts) being in on it... If you don't like my reluctance to do
so (fill in here with your favorite insult :-).

I will say that the people of Softsmarts sincerely regret any
inconvenience they've caused to any of their customers... they just
couldn't take the financial strain any longer.

DISCLAIMER:
I am not affiliated with Softsmarts in any way other than being an
ex-customer -- anything I stated above is totally unofficial.  (I hate
legal hassles -- of course, no disclaimer can guarantee anything :-(.

Ken Auer					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!ken		Mail stop LF-207
Phone: (813) 530-8307				P.O. Box 2826
						Largo, FL  34649-9981

"The views expressed above do not necessarily reflect the views of my
employer, which by no means makes them incorrect."

dont@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Don Taylor) (03/03/88)

Its really sad to see a ST company go out of business, but I guess I
am not surprised because they were charging a ludicrous amount of
money for a PC/AT language package.  I bought ST/V from Digitalk, I
would have much preferred a 'real' ST-80 implementation, but there is
no way that I can justify $1000 for it.  I might have sprung upto $250,
maybe...   I am sure that I am not alone in this.

Does anyone know why they charged so much?  Is it because Xerox were
outragious on their $ demands on Softsmarts, or did Softsmarts simply
misjudge the market?   If it is the former, then I guess we will never
see a reasonably-priced ST-80 until someone straightens Xerox out.

cheers,  don.
--

Don Taylor,
XIOS Systems Corporation,       ...!uunet!mnetor!dciem!nrcaer!xios!dont