[comp.lang.smalltalk] ACTOR

patr@osiris.UUCP (Patrick Barta) (04/04/88)

I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience with the Whitewater
Group's ACTOR program and Microsoft Windows 2.0.

I am considering ACTOR as a quick way to get some prototype
Windows programs running.

Thanks.

			Patrick Barta
				..{uunet, allegra}!mimsy!aplcen!osiris!patr

In article <1576@osiris.UUCP> patr@osiris.UUCP (Patrick Barta) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience with the Whitewater
>Group's ACTOR program and Microsoft Windows 2.0.
>
>I am considering ACTOR as a quick way to get some prototype
>Windows programs running.

Yes, ACTOR is pretty cool, and pretty cheap for educational institutions, only
$99 for the first copy, $99 for a site license.

ACTOR is indeed the best way to prototype Windows programs.
--
-russ
AT&T: (315)268-6591  BITNET: NELSON@CLUTX  Internet: nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu

tvillan@hpccc.HP.COM (Tim Villanueva) (04/07/88)

/ hpccc:comp.lang.smalltalk / nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) /  7:16 am  Apr  4, 1988 /
In article <1576@osiris.UUCP> patr@osiris.UUCP (Patrick Barta) writes:
>>I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience with the Whitewater
>>Group's ACTOR program and Microsoft Windows 2.0.
>>
>>I am considering ACTOR as a quick way to get some prototype
>>Windows programs running.
>
>Yes, ACTOR is pretty cool, and pretty cheap for educational institutions, only
>$99 for the first copy, $99 for a site license.
>
>ACTOR is indeed the best way to prototype Windows programs.
>--
>-russ
>AT&T: (315)268-6591  BITNET: NELSON@CLUTX  Internet: nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu
>GEnie: BH01  Compu$erve: 70441,205
>----------

I have been investigating ACTOR as a prototyping tool also.  I certainly
does seem like a great way to prototype.  But be careful, the implementation
of ACTOR is quite poor.  It is an object-oriented system, but it is not
TRUE in terms of extensibility or portability (alas... why it is a
PROTOTYPING tool).   The other problem is memory is scarce while in
the ACTOR system.

Tim Villanueva                                    "My comments are my own
Hewlett-Packard  (Personal Software Division)      and not those of any
408-773-6268     Mailstop: 81UO                    other entity, especially
tvillan%hpccc@hplabs.HP.COM                        the one I work for!"

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (04/10/88)

In article <680@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

> ACTOR is indeed the best way to prototype Windows programs.

How much like Smalltalk is Actor?