[comp.lang.smalltalk] comp.lang.smalltalk

jn@eva.uu.se (Jan Nilsson, Inst. for husdjurshygien, Skara) (05/19/88)

Hi, folks! I'm just trying to get into this.
Is there anyone who likes to have a discussion regarding animal welfare?
If so, please let me know.
Bo Algers

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (05/26/88)

in article <26@eva.uu.se>, jn@eva.uu.se (Jan Nilsson, Inst. for husdjurshygien, Skara) says:

> Hi, folks! I'm just trying to get into this.
> Is there anyone who likes to have a discussion regarding animal welfare?
> If so, please let me know.
> Bo Algers

Welcome to comp.lang.smalltalk.  I'm sure we're going to have
plenty of fun just chatting.

Concerning animal welfare, I must frankly state that I am apposed to it.
What with all these "Reagan Cuts" in the wefare system, there are just
to many humans who are in dire need of assistance.

			Yours truly,

			R. R. Danna

krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) (05/27/88)

In article <568@goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>in article <26@eva.uu.se>, jn@eva.uu.se (Jan Nilsson, Inst. for husdjurshygien, Skara) says:
>>
>> Hi, folks! I'm just trying to get into this.
>> Is there anyone who likes to have a discussion regarding animal welfare?
>
>Welcome to comp.lang.smalltalk.  I'm sure we're going to have
>plenty of fun just chatting.
>
>			R. R. Danna
If this is someone's idea of a joke, PLEASE STOP!  Note that this
newsgroup is "comp.lang.smalltalk" NOT "comp.lang.idle_chatter".
Keep your chit chat to some other group.

Now, if someone would like to start a serious discussion on this
newsgroup, I'd be interested in hearing how/if people are beginning
to use color graphics in Smalltalk applications.  I run ST-80 on
a Mac II, and the image from ParcPlace has some extra classes for
color support, but I haven't gotten them to work the way I'd like
(I'd really like to put up color views, with different colored labels,
and text, etc.).  I understand that the newer Tektronix machines have
color (which is supposedly better documented than the ParcPlace source),
but I haven't talked to anyone who has actually used the color
capabilities.

I hope we can get this newsgroup back on track with some meaningful
dialog.

Kurt Marko
{att,ihnp4,...most_backbones...}!aluxz!krm

goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (05/31/88)

I too am interested in color smalltalk on the Mac II, but haven't any project
I'm currently working on that will justify spending much time on it.  I'm away
from the Mac right now, but here is a summary of what I have noticed.

1) To get started, the fileIn  Color-Example  has some  examples.  There  are
   primitives to do the 2 key things:
    (a) set the colors in the  "palette" (although an  immense number of
        distinct colors are evidently possible - far more than the human
        eye  can distinguish - as  is typical of   color PCs these days,
        only a small number can simultaneously be plotted on the screen,
        through the use of a color table.  On my Mac II, I can only have
        a table of 256 entries.)
    (b) plot a  "color form"  on  the display, where  each such form has
        "bitsperpixel" bits   at  each  location specifying which  color
        table entry to use at that dot.  (See class ColorDevice.)

2) Now if you want to  create a  multi-colored Browser View,  for example, you
   have to replace everything in that code that creates or modifies a Form, to
   instead create a color  form.  (As a  primitive step you can hack  on Forms
   like they do in the examples mentioned above.  More elegant  is to create a
   parallel class ColorForm and teach it how to do  all  the things that Forms
   can do.  Or  just  some  of the things, to keep   the task within  reason.)
   Finally, you will need to have all code that plots a Form to instead make
   the primitive call to plot a ColorForm.  There is less of this than one
   might think - here is where the modularity of the system design can shine.

3) Also, one needs some code to run at the outset that insures the color table
   is the way you like it when you start up Smalltalk, or after you've done
   something else, your pretty sky blue Browser label may have turned a sickly
   puce!

4) After all of that is working, you can finally add modifications to the
   Browser MVC triad that turn a label green, or the scroll bar to three
   colors, or whatever.  But keep in mind that this whole thing will likely
   run a bit slower and will definitely consume more memory (8 times as much
   with a 256-color palette) as the black and white image.  So you may not
   want all that power everywhere.

CAVEAT:  This implementation programme is my own concept of how to go about
   this.  I am only a "junior Smalltalk hacker", and have only looked around
   the color classes for a few hours.  So there might be a much better way.
   All I have done is step 3 and a beginning of step 1.

One nice application for all  of this on the  Mac would be to  have a  "yellow
button region"  (visible in  yellow)   on all    CodeViews, that responds   to
unmodified mouseclicks by popping up the yellow button menu.  That is the only
one of the three that is really inconvenient on  a Mac II  with its one-button
mouse.  I  would think a  band on the right  edge of  the view would be a nice
place for it.

I can post  my code to  do step 3, and what  I have for  step 1, if anybody is
interested.  If anyone  does some  more of the  above, or has  any other color
Smalltalk code they're proud of, I'll be  happy to beta-test  it for you. (:-)
That is to say, I'd love it if somebody else did this for me!

           Mark Goldfain            arpa:     goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
                                    US Mail:  Mark Goldfain
           (A lowly student at)-->            Department of Computer Science
                                              University of Illinois at U-C
                                              1304 West Springfield Avenue
                                              Urbana, Illinois  61801