[comp.lang.smalltalk] Alan Kay?

freek@uva.UUCP (Freek Wiedijk) (05/28/88)

I've recently read the article about the Dynabook called "Personal Dynamic
Media" by Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg (1977), and I liked it very much.

Can someone tell me what research Alan Kay is currently working on? I've
heard some vague references, but I am not able to find anything definite.
If someone knows something about the work of Alan Kay, can (s)he please mail
me a description or a reference?

--
Freek Wiedijk  <the pistol major>                  UUCP: uunet!mcvax!uva!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (05/31/88)

     Alan Kay is at Apple and still pursuing the Dynabook dream.  After
a disappointing stint at Atari, which for a brief period had an interest
in serious research, he became an Apple Fellow.  Recently, Apple has
produced a video which shows what the ultimate expression of the Dynabook
concept might look like.  I do not know if this video is available for
distribution outside Apple, but one could ask.

					John Nagle

wca@ut-emx.UUCP (William C. Anderson) (05/31/88)

The "new" vision of the DynaBook is called the Navigator* and the
video is supposed to be spectacular...

William Anderson - University of Texas Computation Center - wca@emx.utexas.edu

* In light of recent events, Navigator is probably a trademark of Apple
  Computer.
--
William C. Anderson -- University of Texas Computation Center
wca@emx.utexas.edu   ..!ut-emx!wca

verber@apatosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (05/31/88)

Alan is also associated with the MIT Media Lab.  A book about the
Media Lab was recently published.  I can't remember the author or
title (I know, big help) but I should be pretty easy to find.  The
title was something like "The Media Lab" with a subtitle I can't
remember.

Mark A. Verber				MaBell:          614-292-7344
Computer Science Department		MX: verber@cis.ohio-state.edu
Ohio State University			DUMB:  verber@ohio-state.arpa
2036 Neil Ave, Columbus, Ohio 43210	UUCP:   ..!att!osu-cis!verber

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (05/31/88)

In article <17471@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     Alan Kay is at Apple and still pursuing the Dynabook dream.  After
>a disappointing stint at Atari, which for a brief period had an interest
>in serious research, he became an Apple Fellow.  Recently, Apple has
>produced a video which shows what the ultimate expression of the Dynabook
>concept might look like.  I do not know if this video is available for
>distribution outside Apple, but one could ask.
>
>					John Nagle

	It's obvious to me that Kay is still alive and kicking inside
Apple, based on the things John Sculley is promoting under the guise of
super computer salesman (who says selling soda isn't useful?  :-).  It
seems to me Kay is having input to that whole campaign since his ideas
come through intact.

	Apple sent copies of Sculley's presentation to Educom Fall 87
in LA to every attendee.  This video includes the "Knowledge
Navigator" mini-movie at the end.  If you know someone from your
university who went, then you could get a copy.  Also look for the
video wherever Apple is hosting a booth.  They had a monitor at the
recent BCS MacFest at Boston College and I saw Sculley on it and it
looked like the Educom presentation.

	Kent England, Boston University

kenf@aplcen.UUCP (7784) (06/01/88)

In article <14646@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> verber@apatosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) writes:

>Alan is also associated with the MIT Media Lab.  A book about the
>Media Lab was recently published.  I can't remember the author or
>title (I know, big help) but I should be pretty easy to find.

The title is "The Media Lab", and the author is Stewart Brand,
best known for the "Whole Earth Catalog".  The book has a reflection
hologram on the jacket, and the inside makes for very good reading.  If
you want to hear about how some people in this field are trying to shape
the near future, read the book!

Also, I'm pretty sure that Alan Kay has nothing to do (past or present)
with Kaypro computers (different Kays).

Ken Firestone  kenf@aplcen.mimsy.UUCP