[comp.lang.smalltalk] Book Query

markus@tuhold (Markus Stumptner) (06/22/88)

On the back cover of the three Smalltalk-80 books by Goldberg, Robson
and Krasner, published by Addison-Wesley, there is mention of a
fourth book in the series, called _Creating a User Interface and
Graphical Applications_. There is no reference to this book in my
1988/89 Addison-Wesley Catalogue. Was it ever published? Or is it
already out of print? Where can I lay my hands on it?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Markus Stumptner
Technical University of Vienna
UUCP address: tuvie!tuhold!markus

markus@tuhold (Markus Stumptner) (06/29/88)

According to some of the email sent to me, info concerning the
Mystery Of The Fourth Smalltalk Book is of interest to a lot of
people besides myself. Therefore, here is a summary of the
answers I received:

The book (_Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and Graphical
Applications_, formerly announced by Addison-Wesley) has not been
published yet and won't be for quite some time (if ever).
Apparently, this is so because the Smalltalk team are not so happy
about the Model-View-Controller approach to the ST-80 user interface
and are currently examining new paradigms.

Written material for those who don't want to wait for the book:
Apparently, ParcPlace Systems has a report on the MVC that they
give away for the asking. So, ask them, or your local ST-80 distributor.
I do not know how much material concerning the MVC is
contained in the new Wiener/Pinson book, but yet another book which
is to come out soon, allegedly dwells upon it in some detail.

Thanks again to those who answered my initial question

    Markus Stumptner
    Technical University of Vienna
    Paniglgasse 16, 1040 Vienna, Austria

    UUCP: tuvie!tuhold!markus

isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (07/01/88)

In article <1064@tuhold>, markus@tuhold (Markus Stumptner) writes:
>_Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and Graphical
> Applications_... has not been
> published yet and won't be for quite some time (if ever).
> Apparently, this is so because the Smalltalk team are not so happy
> about the Model-View-Controller approach to the ST-80 user interface
> and are currently examining new paradigms.

Now *that* is interesting.  I use Smalltalk V myself, which, as far as I
understand it, uses the same paradigm.  Now the thing I really like
about Smalltalk is the way you can break a problem into discrete little
chunks my feeble little mind can wrap itself around.  (Structured
languages claim to do this too, but they still have data spagetti.)  But
the user interface methods seemed to violate this spirit, though (being
a novice at OOP) I tended to blame the problem on my own lack of
understanding.

So somebody please tell me:  what other paradigms are there?  I wait
with bated breath.