[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk Code Libraries

kww@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Kevin Waite) (07/21/88)

Does anyone know if there are any automatic servers holding Smalltalk
file-ins that can be accessed via electronic mail.  The thing I have
in mind is a counterpart to the various NeWS servers e.g. at Sun or
QMC here in the UK.  If there are could you please mail or post their
address(es).

Thanks,

Kevin

--
---------
Kevin Waite:   kww@cs.glasgow.ac.uk

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (07/25/88)

In article <1504@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> kww@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Kevin Waite) writes:
>Does anyone know if there are any automatic servers holding Smalltalk
>file-ins that can be accessed via electronic mail.  The thing I have
>in mind is a counterpart to the various NeWS servers e.g. at Sun or
>QMC here in the UK.  If there are could you please mail or post their
>address(es).

Hum,

I don't know of such a server but I feel we should create one.
Currently I'm thinking about a mailbox/news/archive server in Smalltalk80
which offers access from Smalltalk80 (through a public domain View) with
modem or X.25.
This server would be installed on a machine of my employer Georg Heeg Inc.
(though I got no OK yet :-( .
It will be quite easy to add batched access via e-mail and access through
dumb terminals.

So what we need first is :   S O F T W A R E !!!

Folx, if you have small or larger goodies to share with us please post!
I will collect them all and then we'll see about a server.

	Andreas Toenne
	atoenne@unido.uucp (Newsadmin)

P.S. please don't send large mails to my account as this will cost me real
$$ (about 1$ per KB)