[comp.lang.smalltalk] OOPS Machine

gks@antique.UUCP (Ken Swanson) (07/26/88)

Are there any commercially-available systems that have been hardware
optimized for SmallTalk, Objective-C, etc. and which cost less than
$ 40,000 - 50,000 ?

Ken Swanson
att!vax135!gks

verber@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (07/28/88)

I don't know of any *good* machine designed for OOPS under $50k.  On the other
hand running Smalltalk-80 from ParcPlace on a reasonable Sun-3 (or a Sun-4
if you have a good university discount) is great!  As processors get faster
and faster, the need for special purpose hardware is become less necessary.

Cheers,
Mark

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (07/29/88)

gks@antique.UUCP (Ken Swanson) wrote:

> Are there any commercially-available systems that have been hardware
> optimized for SmallTalk, Objective-C, etc. and which cost less than
> $40,000 - $50,000 ?

There is a company near here that makes something like that, called the
REKURSIV (with a hardware-assisted persistent object store called the
OBJEKT). Contact David Harland at:

	Linn Products
	257 Drakemire Drive
	Glasgow G45
	041 634 0371

They have described it in several articles in ACM SIGARCH Notices (and the
rationale for it is described in articles in ACM SIGPLAN and in Harland's
book "Polymorphic Programming Languages"). It's mostly made of microcodable
bitslice chips.

When you say "system" it isn't quite clear what you mean. This thing is a
processor board, not a workstation.

Yes, Linn is the upmarket hi-fi company. They use the REKURSIV internally
for process control on their assembly line.

Despite them being only a few miles away, I've never seen one in the flesh,
much less done anything with it.

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack