[comp.lang.smalltalk] Literature about user interfaces in general

ccenol@rivm.UUCP (Arnold Reinders) (08/22/88)

Does anyone know some literature about user-interfaces?
I am thinking about the following topics:
 - How to use windows
 - How to present information for maximum understanding
 - In what way are messages best understood?
I think PARC has done a lot of research. Maybe someone has a suggestion
how to reach them, or some other hints about people who do some research
in that direction.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Arnold Reinders

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (08/24/88)

In article <995@rivm05.UUCP> ccenol@rivm.UUCP (Arnold Reinders) writes:

>Does anyone know some literature about user-interfaces?
>
>Arnold Reinders

"Human Interface Guidelines: The Apple Desktop Interface" by Apple,
pub 1987 Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-17753, 144 pages, softcover, $14.95

   contains about 6 pages of "Recommended Reading".  A good book.

Also volumes I, IV, and V of Inside Macintosh each contain a chapter
on the subject, vol. I is the best on general issues.

I am currently reading Interfacing Thought, edited by Johm M. Carroll,
published by The MIT Press, 1987, ISBN 0-262-03125-6, 370 pages, hard
cover.  Looks interesting, no other comments yet.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (08/24/88)

ccenol@rivm.UUCP (Arnold Reinders) writes:
>Does anyone know some literature about user-interfaces?

_The_Elements_of_Friendly_Software_Design_ by Paul Heckel,
Warner Software/Warner Books (c)1982, 1984.

Sort of a "lite" book and the examples are a little out
of date  (Wordstar?).  The information and style is still
pretty good.

	;-D on  ( Nice user, there be a good user )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

tiwary@hpsrli.HP.COM (Ashutosh Tiwary) (08/25/88)

> Does anyone know some literature about user-interfaces?
> I am thinking about the following topics:
>  - How to use windows
A good text for theory of designing user-interfaces and user-interface
management systems is a collection of papers titled,
	User Interface Management systems
	Edited by Gunther E Pfaff, Springer Verlag, 1985
>  - How to present information for maximum understanding
>  - In what way are messages best understood?

A load of practical information on UIs can be obtained from
	Designing the User Interface
	by Ben Shneiderman, Addison Wesley, 1987

> Arnold Reinders
> ----------

Good Luck

- Ashutosh Tiwary
Hewlett Packard, Network Measurement Division
Santa Rosa, California 95401.

UUCP : {decvax, ucbvax} !hpcea!hpnmd!tiwary
ARPA : tiwary%hpnmd@hp-sde.hp.com
BITNET : tiwary%hpnmd%hplabs.hp.com@berkeley.edu

cag@esl.UUCP (Christina A Gibbs) (08/26/88)

Arnold Reinders asked: "Does anyone know some literature about user-interfaces?"

A *large* collection of papers was published last year; it includes some classic
UI papers.
       _Readings in Human-Computer Interaction_
       Ronald M. Baecker & William A.S. Buxton, eds.
       Morgan Kaufmann, Los Altos, CA, 1987

There are several chapters on user interfaces in the textbook:
       _Introduction to Computer Graphics_
       James D. Foley & A. van Dam
       Addison_Wesley ?????

Also investigate the books written by Ben Schneidermann of Univ. Maryland.  One
is recent - 1987?? - and a good introductory text on interfaces.

Christina Gibbs
cag@esl.esl.com