[net.movies] Funniest Movies List

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/22/85)

Because I got several replies for my continuing quest for funny movies, in
particular movies people consider as being the funniest they have ever seen, I
decided to compile a list of what the nominations are so far.  This list
is short and I am hoping we'll get several more nominations; if people
find that some of these movies are not deserving for the funniest movies list,
feel free to comment, and we'll try to do something about it.  Also, keep
in mind that the idea is to get a few nominations from each person,
because, at least for me, really funny movies are hard to come by.
However, if you think you've seen several (or more) movies which deserve
to be on this list, consider yourself among the few lucky ones, and feel free
to nominate as many as you like.  Maybe the best thing to do is nominate
movies which are funny, but don't quite make it to your funnies movies
list, as a separate category.

If people feel that net.movies is getting too busy (which it is, but the
totally bad movies seem to be quieting down), send mail to me for your
nominations, although I think it is better to post to the net, since it
results in more discussions on the nominations, and may get more people the
desire to nominate their own favorite funnies.

Anyway, here is the list.

Movies nominated for the funniest movies list:

movie                                             no. of nominations

Stripes                                                      3
Airplane                                                     2
Blazing Saddles                                              2
National Lampoon's Vacation                                  1
Airplane II                                                  1
The Producers                                                1
The Gumball Rally (a "Cannonball Express" movie)             1
Back to the Future                                           1
Philadelphia Story                                           1
The Lemon Drop Kid (Bob Hope)                                1
Bedazzled                                                    1
A Christmas Story                                            1
After Hours                                                  1
Cheech and Chong's Next Movie                                1
National Lampoon's Animalhouse                               1
Monty Python & the Holy Grail                                1
The Rutles                                                   1
Sleeper                                                      1

Movies which are possible future nominees, and ones which have been
suggested as funny, but may not make the funniest list (and some of these
include strange nominations, so feel free to express you view on these):

Friday the 13th - including all sequels (I am not fond of freaking out so
                  you'll have to give me all specific titles on these,
		  like "Jason Freaks Out the World", "Jason Freaks Out
		  the Galaxy", "Jason Freaks Out the Universe", or is
		  that the wrong movie)
Jaws
Halloween - and all sequels (similar comment as above; need specific title)
Murder by Death
Young Frankenstein
My Favorite Year
Start the Revolution Without Me
Soup for One
And Now for Something Completely Different (Monty Python)
Beverly Hills Cop

If I lost someone's nominations, send it again, or post it to this
newsgroup.  If there is enough interest, I will update this list, and
post it once in a while.  Suggestions on other format of the list or
anything else are welcome.

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (10/26/85)

How about:

	The Party- Peter Sellers and Claudine Longet. Some of the funniest
sight gags Sellers has ever done. Some nice romance too!

	Monty Python and the Holy Grail- One No-Prize to everyone who
remembers the conclusion to the quote from the Sir Galahad in the convent
scene: ".. and after the spanking.....". One of the true nadirs in comedy
(as far as I'm concerned, the lower the funnier).

	Gandhi - (just kidding (=:  )

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/28/85)

I got several (quite a few actually) nominations for the list so here
is this week's list.  The movies are ordered by the the number of
nominations they got, or by the order they received that many
nominations.  I still have two lists because I wasn't sure what to do
with the second.  (Note that some movies appear on both lists; maybe I'll
merge the two lists eventually, or something like that.)

Movies nominated for the funniest movies list so far:

movie                                             no. of nominations

Monty Python & the Holy Grail                                6
The Producers                                                5
Blazing Saddles                                              5
National Lampoon's Animal House                              4
Stripes                                                      3
Airplane                                                     3
Bedazzled (Peter Cook, Dudley Moore)                         3
After Hours                                                  3
Life of Brian (Monty Python)                                 2
Young Frankenstein                                           2
Airplane II                                                  2
National Lampoon's Vacation                                  1
The Gumball Rally (a "Cannonball Express" movie)             1
Back to the Future                                           1
Philadelphia Story                                           1
The Lemon Drop Kid (Bob Hope)                                1
A Christmas Story                                            1
Cheech and Chong's Next Movie                                1
The Rutles                                                   1
Sleeper                                                      1
Ghostbusters                                                 1
All of Me                                                    1
La Cage aux Folles                                           1
Starting Over                                                1
Strange Brew                                                 1
Pink Panther and all sequels                                 1
Murder by Death                                              1
This is Spinal Tap                                           1
Caddyshack                                                   1
Slapshot                                                     1
The In-laws (Alan Arkin & Peter Falk)                        1
Beverly Hills Cop                                            1
There's a Girl in My Soup (Peter Sellers & Goldie Hawn)      1
The Black Bird                                               1
What's Up Doc                                                1
The Gods Must Be Crazy                                       1
The Long Long Trailer                                        1
Arsenic and Old Lace                                         1
Those Manificent Men and Their Flying Machines               1
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World                                 1
The Blues Brothers                                           1
Trading Places                                               1
Stir Crazy                                                   1
Nine to Five                                                 1
Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to
	Stop Worrying Love the Bomb  (title?)                1
The Frisco Kid                                               1
One, Two, Three (James Cagney)                               1
Bananas                                                      1
Better Off Dead                                              1
High Anxiety                                                 1
Being There                                                  1
The Party                                                    1

Movies which are possible future nominees, and ones which have been
suggested as funny, but may not make the funniest list (and some of these
include strange nominations):

Friday the 13th - including all sequels
Jaws
Halloween - and all sequels
Murder by Death
Young Frankenstein                                            2
My Favorite Year                                              2
Start the Revolution Without Me
Soup for One
And Now for Something Completely Different (Monty Python)
Beverly Hills Cop
Blazing Saddles
Ghostbusters
It Happened One Night
Terms of Endearment (only the first 2/3 was nominated, so I placed it
		     in this list)
Meatballs
Stir Crazy
National Lampoon's Vacation
Airplane
Aiplane II
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Blues Brothers

If I lost someone's nominations, send it again, or post it to this
newsgroup (otherwise, I am relying on people posting their nominations
only once).  If there is enough interest, I will update this list, and
post it once in a while.  Any suggestions are welcome.

larsen@utah-gr.UUCP (Mark Larsen) (10/29/85)

Frankly, having just read the so called "Funniest Movies List", I
can't believe that not one nomination was given to the two funniest
movies of all time (in my opinion, of course):
	Tootsie
	What's up Doc?

Other funny movies (but not as good)
	Mr. Mom
	Foul Play
	American Dreamer (of course it was a comedy!)

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

-lml

--
-----------
Ma faute! Comment cela?		L. Mark Larsen

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/29/85)

Let's not forget "Being There", probably Peter Sellers greatest role.

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (10/29/85)

> If I lost someone's nominations, send it again, or post it to this
> newsgroup.  If there is enough interest, I will update this list, and
> post it once in a while.  Suggestions on other format of the list or
> anything else are welcome.

    Well, you apparently lost my list, and after an unsuccessful attempt at
mailing it to you, I have decided to (gasp) re-post it:

*Monty Python and the Holy Grail
*Life of Brian
*any Pink Panther movie with Peter Sellers (including a Shot in the Dark)
*Murder by Death
*This is Spinal Tap
*After Hours

  In light of previous comments, I should probably list all the PP movies
separately:

*The Pink Panther
*A Shot in the Dark
*The Return of the Pink Panther
*The Pink Panther Strikes Again
*The Revenge of the Pink Panther

  And I should point out:  Of course Murder by Death was a comedy!  Screenplay
by Neil Simon, starring Peter Sellers, Truman Capote, David Niven, Sir Alec
Guiness, etc.  A sendup of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple,
Charlie Chan, Sam Spade, Nick and Nora Charles, and every 30s and 40s whodunnit
ever made.

--Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
--aka Steve Howard, ...udenva!showard
--"Use your damn pronouns!"--Lionel Twain to Sidney Wang

lynng@mako.UUCP (Lynn Gurske) (10/30/85)

	How about these movies:

		Airplane II	Loved the solid fuel and the Rocky XXXVIII
				poster behind Sonny Bono.

		Ghostbusters    A classic.

		Dr. Detroit     Remember when the Dr. tells mom "I'm rip your
				head off and @#$%$ down your neck.

				   from the office of the mighty

			          SSS     KK    KK   EEEEEEEE     !!
			        SS   SS   KK   KK    EE           !!
			        SS        KK  KK     EE           !!
		                  SSS     KKKK       EEEEE        !!
			             SS   KK  KK     EE           !!
		       	        SS   SS   KK   KK    EE
			          SSS     KK    KK   EEEEEEEE     !!

					Lynn E. Gurske
					ECS/mfg  Tektronix
					Wilsonville, OREGON 97070
					60-640

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/30/85)

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) says:

>The Gumball Rally (a "Cannonball Express" movie)

Gumball Rally was made previous to Cannonball Express.  Therefore,
Cannonball Express could be called a "Gumball Rally" movie, but not
the other way around.

Gumball Rally was at least one star better than Cannonball Express.
The only thing funny about Cannonball Express was Dom DeLuise.

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (10/30/85)

--
Nobody's mentioned Mel Brooks's "The Producers" yet.
--

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/31/85)

In article <941@mako.UUCP> lynng@mako.UUCP (Lynn Gurske) writes:

>	How about these movies:
>		Ghostbusters    A classic.

I was surprised how few people nominated Ghostbusters (I think this is
only the second nomination), even thought it was such a boxoffice hit.
I myself was very disappointed in this movie
when I say it.  It is quite funny, and Bill Murrey (sp?) was quite good in
the movie (and so is everybody else), but I was expecting lot more from a
movie with such cast, especially after STRIPES, which I thought was one
of the funniest movies I've ever seen.  I thought it was Bill Murrey's
funniest movie by far.

bright@dataioDataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (10/31/85)

In article <1233@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>Nobody's mentioned Mel Brooks's "The Producers" yet.

That's because it wasn't funny.

dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) (11/01/85)

>>From gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly):
>>Nobody's mentioned Mel Brooks's "The Producers" yet.

>From bright@dataioDataio.UUCP (Walter Bright):
>That's because it wasn't funny.

Oooh, you take that back!!! :-)  I would gladly nominate this movie
for one of the all-time funniest!
==========			 ==========			  ==========
David C. Tuttle 	 Dept. of Computer Science, University of Washington
[ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax]!uw-beaver!uw-june!dtuttle		dtuttle@uw-june.ARPA

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Bert) (11/01/85)

In article <852@dataioDataio.UUCP> bright@dataio.UUCP (Walter Bright writes:
>In article <1233@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>>Nobody's mentioned Mel Brooks's "The Producers" yet.
>
>That's because it wasn't funny.

Of course, someone has already suggested "The Producers"; in fact,
several people have nominated it, and it is one of the top movies on the
list (see list).

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (11/02/85)

In article <852@dataioDataio.UUCP> bright@dataio.UUCP (Walter Bright writes:
>In article <1233@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>>Nobody's mentioned Mel Brooks's "The Producers" yet.
>
>That's because it wasn't funny.

Surely you jest. This movie was hilarious. I second it.

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (11/04/85)

Lots more nominations this week.  One note: if you nominate a movie
such as "all Marx Brothers movies" or "... and all sequels to", than the
nominations may not appear on this list.  I try my best to remember
titles, but it is especially hard when I haven't seen the movies, so
nominate movies by title.  (ordering as before; still two lists)

Movies nominated for the funniest movies list so far:

movie                                             no. of nominations

Blazing Saddles                                              9
The Producers                                                8
Monty Python & the Holy Grail                                8
National Lampoon's Animal House                              6
Airplane                                                     5
Bedazzled (Peter Cook, Dudley Moore)                         5
Stripes                                                      4
Young Frankenstein                                           4
Dr. Strangelove (Peter Sellers, George C. Scott)             4
After Hours                                                  3
Airplane II                                                  3
Life of Brian (Monty Python)                                 3
Being There (Peter Sellers)                                  3
The Party (Peter Sellers, Claudine Longet)                   3
Strange Brew                                                 2
Ghostbusters                                                 2
A Christmas Story                                            2
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World                                 2
Murder by Death                                              2
This is Spinal Tap                                           2
Pink Panther                                                 2
A Shot in the Dark (Peter Sellers, Pink Panther sequel)      2
The Return of the Pink Panther                               2
The Pink Panther Strikes Again                               2
The Revenge of the Pink Panther                              2
Tootsie                                                      2
What's Up Doc                                                2
Annie Hall                                                   2
Duck Soup (Marx Brothers)                                    2
The Ruling Class  (Peter O'toole)                            2
Arthur                                                       2
National Lampoon's Vacation                                  1
The Gumball Rally (a "Cannonball Express" releated movie)    1
Back to the Future                                           1
Philadelphia Story                                           1
The Lemon Drop Kid (Bob Hope)                                1
[...]
No Time For Sergeants                                        1
Rock 'N Roll High School                                     1
Dr. Detroit                                                  1
Choose Me                                                    1
A Fistfull of Yen (segment within the Kentucky Fried Movie)  1
The Great Race                                               1
Animal Crackers                                              1
Smokey and the Bandit (Jackie Gleason)                       1
Mr. Hulot's Holiday                                          1
Les Comperes                                                 1
A Hard Day's Night                                           1
Help                                                         1
The Loved One                                                1
Harold and Maude                                             1
The Out-of-Towners                                           1
Touch of Class                                               1
A Boy and His Dog                                            1
Love and Death (Woody Allen)                                 1
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes  (???)                         1
Play it Again Sam                                            1
Take the Money and Run                                       1
You Can't Take It With You                                   1
Harvey                                                       1
Horse Feathers (Marx Brothers)                               1
History of the World, Part I  (Mel Brooks)                   1
Twelve Chairs  (Mel Brooks)                                  1

Movies which are possible future nominees, and ones which have been
suggested as funny, but may not make the funniest list (and some of these
include strange nominations):

Friday the 13th - including all sequels
Jaws
Halloween - and all sequels
/* no the more comedy like movies */
Murder by Death
Young Frankenstein                                            3
My Favorite Year                                              2
Start the Revolution Without Me
Soup for One
And Now for Something Completely Different (Monty Python)
Beverly Hills Cop
Blazing Saddles
Ghostbusters
It Happened One Night
Terms of Endearment (only the first 2/3 was nominated, so I placed it
		     in this list)
Meatballs
Stir Crazy
National Lampoon's Vacation                                   2
Airplane
Aiplane II
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Blues Brothers
Duck Soup
A Shot in the Dark
Mr. Mom
Foul Play
American Dreamer

If I lost someone's nominations, send it again, or post it to this
newsgroup.  If there is enough interest, I will update this list, and
post it once in a while.  Suggestions on other format of the list or
anything else are welcome.  If someone notices multiple entries within
each list for the same movie, let me know.

In the same vein as "The Producers" how about:

	A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

which I think is even funnier.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) (11/05/85)

How could I have forgotten "Harold And Maude"?  Anyone else agree?
--

		Patricia Boren
		decvax!randvax!boren

tonti@ptsfc.UUCP (Guy Tonti) (11/12/85)

Though I agree that Bill Murray in Caddyshack is funny (especially the
cinderella story at the 18th hole of the Masters), nothing he or anyone
else has done quite compares to Michael Keaton in NIGHT SHIFT (this can
best be appreciated by those of us who think feeding mayonaise to tuna
fish could make millions).

He also was quite good in MR.MOM (220, 221, whatever).

Its too bad his later work has stunk so bad.