[comp.lang.smalltalk] ThingLab??

gleicher@REDNECK.PC.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Gleicher) (09/14/88)

Recently I have been reading about Thinglab and am growing quite
interested in it.

Is it possible to get the code so I can play with it myself?
(I am running APDA Smalltalk 0.4 on a Mac II)

Thanks,

Mike	gleicher@cs.cmu.edu

--
Michael Lee Gleicher		gleicher@cs.cmu.edu	(-: Of course I believe
Carnegie Mellon University	5610 Elmer St. Apt 10	(-: in miracles,

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (09/15/88)

gleicher@REDNECK.PC.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Gleicher) writes:
>[ Is ThingLab available? ]

Try anonymous ftp from june.cs.washington.edu (128.95.1.4),
use login 'anonymous', use your username as the password.
Look in the subdirectory 'pub/thinglab' and (somebody) please
summarize what you find there.

	;-D on  ( Coming soon: ThingBusiness )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

g570907053ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000002645;0;80;142;) (09/23/88)

The README file at <june.cs....> follows:

ThingLab is now in the public domain.  Feel free to copy the system and use
it as you wish.  Two versions are available: an old version of ThingLab
(pre-constraint hierarchies), and one with constraint hierarchies.  They
are available on internet on the machine june.cs.washington.edu.  To get
them, FTP to june and log in as ANONYMOUS password FOO.  Connect to the
subdirectory pub/thinglab (the full path to this directory is
/src/ftp/pub/thinglab).  Then retrieve either old-thinglab.tar.Z or
hierarchies.tar.Z.  These are both compressed Unix tar files, containing
the files to load into Smalltalk.  This note is in README in the same
directory.

Rob Duisberg's Animus system isn't available--it is still ensnarled by
Tektronix's legal department.

NB.  Both versions of ThingLab are now obsolete--at the University of
Washington we've decided that ThingLab had become too old, too large, and
too unmaintainable, and so we're starting afresh on work on constraint
systems in Smalltalk-80.  These versions are completely unsupported.  We
don't have the resources to provide help in using or debugging them, or in
providing copies of floppies or tapes.  Good luck!

-----
Too bad.  I'm quite curious about Animus now, too!  Anybody able to
describe it or ThingLab in more detail?

Ron Goldthwaite / UC Davis, Psychology and Animal Behavior
'Economics is a branch of ethics, pretending to be a science;
 ethology is a science, pretending relevance to ethics.'

FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (09/24/88)

In article <3082@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, g570907053ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000002645;0;80;142;) writes:

>The README file at <june.cs....> follows:
>
>ThingLab is now in the public domain.  Feel free to copy the system and use
>it as you wish.  Two versions are available: an old version of ThingLab

Does PD Thinglab run under PPS ST-80 or is it dependent on the Tek implementati
on?

peskin@caip.rutgers.edu (R. L. Peskin) (09/26/88)

Our experience with the ThingLab formerly distributed by Xerox was that
it ran in both Tek and PPS images. I assume this is still true. Animus
runs only on the Tek image.
--dick peskin <peskin@caip.rutgers.edu>