[comp.lang.smalltalk] replacing the desktop metaphor

bonar@pitt.UUCP (Dr. Jeffrey Bonar) (12/19/88)

I have an invitation for net readers - create a metaphor for computing
systems that goes beyond the desktop cliche.  Four years ago, Apple
had something with the Macintosh desktop: a new way to think about
computing.  Now, everyone is copying the desktop: Microsoft, IBM,
AT&T.  Even the new NeXT machine provides little more than a
desktop with some cute simulated depth.

Marshall McLuhan said that a new medium always began by
imitating the old medium: cow paths were paved to make roads for
the "horseless carriage", film began by putting a camera in front of a
play, and finally, computer screens now look like a desktop.  What if
we really let go into our new medium; what should a computer work
space really look like?

William Gibson described a cyberspace where computer cowboys
shared a:

"consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of
legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught
mathematical concepts ... A graphic representation of data
abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human
system.  Unthinkable complexity.  Lines of light ranged in the
nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data.  Like
city lights, receding ..."  (pg 51, Ace paperback edition of
Neuromancer)

What does your cyberspace, or whatever you would call it, look like.
I'm interested in suggestions that are practical and serious, in
particular, suggestions constrained by current technology in screens,
keyboards, mice, etc.  I'm also interested in suggestions that are
fanciful and poetic.

We get to create a medium from scratch - what should it look like.
Note: please mail your suggestions to me directly.  I will post a
collection of the results.

Send suggestions to:

	Internet: bonar@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu

or, using normal mail:

	Jeffrey Bonar
	708 LRDC
	University of Pittsburgh
	Pittsburgh, PA  15260

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (01/07/89)

In article <4362@pitt.UUCP> bonar@pitt.UUCP (Dr. Jeffrey Bonar) writes:

>I have an invitation for net readers - create a metaphor for computing
>systems that goes beyond the desktop cliche.  Four years ago, Apple
>had something with the Macintosh desktop: a new way to think about
>computing.  Now, everyone is copying the desktop: Microsoft, IBM,
>AT&T.  Even the new NeXT machine provides little more than a
>desktop with some cute simulated depth.

I suggest all people who are involved with Information Technology be
required to read the following article before being allowed to
post netnews:

%A Vannevar Bush
%T As We May Think
%J Altantic Monthly
%D August 21945
%X This article described an information
handling workstation of the future, at which a user could sit and browse
information which would appear on rear-projection screens;  links between
places in different documents would connect related information, and the
machine would be able to switch over to those related documents if they
were stored on the system (a concept today called "hypertext").
.br
This article also describes the concept of intertextual links {margin
notes} that became part of the documents and allow establishing
correlations and cross-references.  It also posited the concept of an
information space and a world-wide data space.

My point is that the above citation seems to be unknown to serious
researchers.  It describes a set of concepts that have not yet been
achieved.   A vague glimmering was attempted by Doug Englebert at SRI
in his Augmented Knowledge Workshop.   I feel that people need to
re-examine a lot of the past as I seem to see people keep re-inventing
old ideas that have become forgotten.

Of course, one should remember that had not Alfred Einstein been
around Vannevar Bush would have been the most famous scientist in the
USA.   It isn't surprising that his idea was so seminal.

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (01/07/89)

In article <4362@pitt.UUCP> bonar@pitt.UUCP (Dr. Jeffrey Bonar) writes:

>I have an invitation for net readers - create a metaphor for computing
>systems that goes beyond the desktop cliche.  Four years ago, Apple
>had something with the Macintosh desktop: a new way to think about
>computing.  Now, everyone is copying the desktop: Microsoft, IBM,
>AT&T.  Even the new NeXT machine provides little more than a
>desktop with some cute simulated depth.
>
>Marshall McLuhan said that a new medium always began by
>imitating the old medium: cow paths were paved to make roads for
>the "horseless carriage", film began by putting a camera in front of a
>play, and finally, computer screens now look like a desktop.  What if
>we really let go into our new medium; what should a computer work
>space really look like?

One of these years I hope to meet up with some one who has read some
old fashioned Science Fiction!!!

%A Arthur Clarke
%T Imperial Earth
%X Novel about a delegate to the Tri-centennial of the US
Independence.   Plot surrounds relationship with an old chum who
is billiant and unstable.  Major plot element is the portable,
personal "computer" which is a lifelong companion, secretary,
notebook,
filing cabinet and general reference library.  Said object when
attached to the local equivalent "telephone" with ISDN and a global
access becomes one's entry to the world.

Check the book out.  That book along with Vannevar Bush's article
(see previous post) descibe a potential that makes cyberpunk look
sick.
--

dykimber@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel Yaron Kimberg) (01/07/89)

In article <2350@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>[description of an article from 1945]
>My point is that the above citation seems to be unknown to serious
>researchers.  It describes a set of concepts that have not yet been
>achieved.   A vague glimmering was attempted by Doug Englebert at SRI
>in his Augmented Knowledge Workshop.   I feel that people need to
>re-examine a lot of the past as I seem to see people keep re-inventing
>old ideas that have become forgotten.

No one's re-inventing the wheel, but hand waving is hand waving.  The
real advances are going to be in actual systems.  You seem to be assuming
that the problem is a shortage of ideas, and complaining that we should be
spending more time seeing what's already out there.  Well, the real shortage
is in things like technology, funding, resources, and time.  Just because
current hand waving bears a striking resemblance to past hand waving, it
doesn't mean your re-invention alarm has to go off.  Most work from
1945 is probably so extrapolative as to make it worthless.  Who in 1945
could have predicted which vision of the future would seem right 40+ years
later?  The fact that one guy seems to have gotten it right is irrelevant.
We don't want to have to constantly search through all the chaff of
the past n years for the gems.
    On the other hand, similar papers published today (I have a few references
if anyone is interested), while proposing very similar ideas, are of a
better grade of hand waving, since their ideas are actually technologically
feasible.  (Of course, Technologically is only one species of Feasible.)  And
I certainly wouldn't expect people to grind through today's ideas forty years
from now to see what they can find.  If they still want cyberspace or office
metaphors in forty years, good for them, but it won't be because someone looked
up some forty year old articles, it'll be because the idea was good enough to
be continually re-invented until someone had the bright idea of doing something
about it.  If you're worried about the original idea-man not getting credit
for his good extrapolation, well that's life, and besides, there's nothing new
under the sun anyhow, right?

                                               -Dan

p.s. i haven't read the article in question, i am responding only to the
     ideas expressed in the message posted

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (01/08/89)

>%A Vannevar Bush
>%T As We May Think
>%J Altantic Monthly
>%D August 2 1945

More easily found in:

Irene Grief (ed.), COMPUTER-SUPPORTED COOPERATIVE WORK:  A BOOK OF READINGS,
Morgan-Kaufman, CA, 1988.

along with all kinds of other good stuff.

Bill