[comp.lang.smalltalk] EXECUTALBE VERSION OF A SMALLTALK/V APPLICATION

roth@sce.carleton.ca (Carl Roth) (02/10/89)

I would like to be able to produce an (ibm-pc) .exe or .com executalbe version
of my Smalltalk/V applications.  Is there a PD or other program available that
will accomplish this?  Digitalk includes a program that strips the compiler
and unused classes from an image(?) with it's liscensing agreement but this
costs $500 (US) a year!  I could sell a copy of Smalltalk/V with the
application which will only add approximately $150 to the code but then there
is the problem of the user modifying (read destroying) the application.

Any other help regarding pruning classes (beyond that which is mentioned in
the manual) would also be helpfull.

akm@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (02/16/89)

There appears to be some stage that you can put the image / source file
into where if you try to look at the definitions of a class, it
comes back saying that you can't look at source code. My problem is
that in the cases that this has happened to me, I *haven't* wanted it
to happen. (I use V/286). On the other hand, if your goal is
information hiding, and preventing users from mucking around with
your code, that seems to be an effective way of doing it.

Kartik

elt@entire.UUCP (Edward L. Taychert) (02/17/89)

In article <542@sce.carleton.ca>, roth@sce.carleton.ca (Carl Roth) writes:
> will accomplish this?  Digitalk includes a program that strips the compiler
> and unused classes from an image(?) with it's liscensing agreement but this
> costs $500 (US) a year!  I could sell a copy of Smalltalk/V with the
> application which will only add approximately $150 to the code but then there

The $500 is an unlimited liscence.

If you sell 10 systems, that's only $50 per copy.

It seems like a resonable deal to me. Not that you cannot
legally distribute you ST/V applications without it
(or buying the whole package for your users.) You seem to know this.
I've seen other system that add a password to the browser
but leave the file-in alone so they can do updates.
Stops the causal accident, may be good enough.

--

Ed Taychert
	    ...!rochester!rocksanne!entire!elt