[comp.lang.smalltalk] What is ST-80?

genbrug@iesd.uucp (Dat hovedfag genbrug) (02/22/89)

Is ST-80 more than an advanced environment to make toys with? - Apparantly not.

I see the ST-80 system as a VERY POWERFULL environment for the development of
prototypes, but when it comes to development of commercial products running
OUTSIDE the ST-80 environment I find it problematic.

In "old" environments with languages like C, Pascal or Cobol I find the concept
of 'a program' very clear (it starts with a 'begin' and ends with a 'end'), but
in respect to ST-80 programs I find the concepts of 'program' very fuzzy (ST-80
programs are typically built up by many objects comming from different class-
hierachiess having methods that again uses objects from other classhierachies
and so on) because it is hard to distinguish what is THE program and what
is not.

MY QUESTION IS: Does there exist tools to transform programs in the ST-80
environment to executable programs that can run outside the ST-80 environment,
and that does not exist of more than the necessary parts of the classes from
the ST-80 system? e.g like 'Applications generators' in LISP (the discussion
above, about ST-80 programs contra "ordinary" programs causes me to think
that such a tool isn't a simple one).

Johnny Thomsen, genbrug@iesd.dk,  {...}!mcvax!diku!iesd!genbrug
--
genbrug@iesd.dk,  {...}!mcvax!diku!iesd!genbrug

georg@unido.UUCP (Georg A. M. Heeg) (02/26/89)

In article <1383@iesd.uucp> genbrug@iesd.dk (Dat hovedfag genbrug) writes:

>Is ST-80 more than an advanced environment to make toys with? - Apparantly not.

I am really happy to tell you, that your impression is wrong. Selling
Smalltalk-80 and Smalltalk-80 applications for about 18 months I can see
our customers making business by using Smalltalk-80.

Certainly I also disagree with your opinion of a program:
>In "old" environments with languages like C, Pascal or Cobol I find the concept
>of 'a program' very clear (it starts with a 'begin' and ends with a 'end'), but
Look at a CIM project and the task to control a factory, or look at a
desktop system in an office or ....... where is the 'begin' and where is the
'end' ('begin' = founding, 'end' = bankruptcy ;-))?

Please see a lot of applications that ARE systems, so the programmer is adviced
to MODEL them as systems, NOT as programs. The major parts of our end user
Smalltalk-80 customers choose the system to USE it as a system with all its
fexibility.

Look at the spreadsheet packing in The Analyst.

Try to rebuild it in C, Pascal or Cobol. Then a customer wants to use complex
numbers, or triggering of pie chart giving the new exchange rate Yen/Dollar
found 20 seconds ago in Tokyo?

>MY QUESTION IS: Does there exist tools to transform programs in the ST-80
>environment to executable programs that can run outside the ST-80 environment,
>and that does not exist of more than the necessary parts of the classes from
>the ST-80 system? e.g like 'Applications generators' in LISP (the discussion
>above, about ST-80 programs contra "ordinary" programs causes me to think
>that such a tool isn't a simple one).

Certainly I know of examples where the idea of generating C programs out of
a Smalltalk-80 system is very useful. Look into Jacques Daehler's PhD thesis
(ETH Zuerich, Electrocal Engeneering). He speciefies graphically a network
protocol in Petri Nets and simulates the network with selected animation to
detect errors and dead locks. When he is done he generates a c program for
every node in the network to run the specified protocol.

Since early this year Jacques runs his own company to market his tool.

Georg Heeg
Smalltalk-80 Systems
Baroper Str. 337
D-4600 Dortmund 50