[comp.lang.smalltalk] Serious Applications

pieter@prls.UUCP (Pieter van der Meulen) (02/28/89)

In article <1383@iesd.uucp> genbrug@iesd.dk (Dat hovedfag genbrug) writes:

>Is ST-80 more than an advanced environment to make toys with? - Apparantly not

We used Smalltalk to prototype CAD tools for VLSI design, and do not
consider them toys. See the January/February issue of JOOP on "INSIST"
(an Interactive Simulator/Editor in SmallTalk).

>MY QUESTION IS: Does there exist tools to transform programs in the ST-80
>environment to executable programs that can run outside the ST-80 environment,
>and that does not exist of more than the necessary parts of the classes from
>the ST-80 system? e.g like 'Applications generators' in LISP (the discussion

I would be interested in that too, but I do not expect much savings by
stripping parts of the classes: the application (INSIST) is larger than
Smalltalk by itself (1.5Mbyte of source) and most (est. 70 %) of Smalltalk
is intensively used.

P.S. van der Meulen, MS 02        prls!pieter
PRLS, Signetics div. of NAPC      -----------
811 E.Arques Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3409