[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk Music Applications

froncio@caip.rutgers.edu (FRONCIO) (03/17/89)

I am very interested in hearing about anyone's
experience with the use of Smalltalk for playing,
writing, and hacking around with music.

If anyone has any expereience, please let me know.

A. Froncioni (froncio@caip.rutgers.edu)

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (03/18/89)

In article <Mar.16.19.26.29.1989.8149@caip.rutgers.edu> froncio@caip.rutgers.edu (FRONCIO) writes:
>I am very interested in hearing about anyone's
>experience with the use of Smalltalk for playing,
>writing, and hacking around with music.

Currently I know of two projects.
The first is HyperScore by Stephen Pope (ParcPlace Systems). It is a very
good toolbox for computer aided and generated scores (ie. a composing tool).
There are notions for sequencing but in version 5.0 they are close to useless.
The newest version should be 5.2.
*** Stephen! Is my version in the mail ? ***
HyperScore is FREE (but partly copyrighted)

The second is Trax (by me :-).
It has not taken it's final shape but I managed to prove that it will be a
usefull sequencing tool.
It will contain all kinds of arragement and track features, a drum pattern
programmer and much more.
Unfortunatly this will be not for free (but I take MIDI equipment as payment :-)
I'll post a specification to this newsgroup soon.

	Andreas Toenne
	atoenne@unido.uucp

JTangney@cup.portal.com (John Dominic Tangney) (03/18/89)

HyperScore ToolKit is a collection of classes put together by Stephen Pope
of ParcPlace Systems. It also includes work done by others. I am running a
users group which basically does distribution of new releases. Note that
it's not a product, but a tool kit. There are about 50-60 people using it
all around the world. I publish a newsletter now and again (when there's news)
and distribute it by email. Disks (or tar tapes) with distributions will cost
you, because they cost me. If you're interested in getting onto the
distribution list, email me (jtangney@cup.portal.com).

More info about HSTK can be got from Proceedings of the 1987 International
computer Music Conference. You can get it from the Computer Music Association
for details.
(email me if you don't have access to the CMA -- I don't have their address
on me right now.)

All the best
john tangney

hebel@symcom (Kurt Hebel) (03/20/89)

In article <Mar.16.19.26.29.1989.8149@caip.rutgers.edu> froncio@caip.rutgers.edu (FRONCIO) writes:

>I am very interested in hearing about anyone's
>experience with the use of Smalltalk for playing,
>writing, and hacking around with music.
>
>If anyone has any expereience, please let me know.

Carla Scaletti has made an environment for music composition called
Kyma.  Kyma is an interactive, real time software synthesis system based on
the Platypus digital signal processor.  It runs on the Macintosh II
using ParcPlace System's Smalltalk-80.

The composer creates sounds through a graphical direct-manipulation
interface;  sounds can be auditioned at any time during the composition
process.

For more information, see:

"Kyma: An Object-oriented Language for Music Composition" in the
Proceedings of the 1987 International Computer Music Conference.

"An Interactive Environment for Object-oriented Music Composition and
Sound Synthesis" in the 1988 Object-oriented Programming Systems,
Languages and Applications (OOPSLA) Conference Proceedings.

There will also be articles in the next issues of the Computer Music
Journal and the Perspectives of New Music.

			Kurt J. Hebel

hebel@symcom (Kurt Hebel) (03/20/89)

Mark Lentczner has also done work with Smalltalk and music.  He wrote
"Sound Kit: A Sound Manipulator" in the Proceedings of the 1985
International Computer Music Conference.  This is a system for
manipulating and editing digitally sampled sound.

			Kurt J. Hebel