[comp.lang.smalltalk] Looking for a real "printOut"

bousse@irisa.UUCP (Marc Bousse) (03/23/89)

Hello,

I'm working on a ParcPlace VI.2.2 image on a Sun 3/60, and I was quite
surprised to find out that the "printOut" command in fact defaults to
"fileOut". This is really unfortunate for any Smalltalk user needing a
readable listing of his classes+methods: "fileOut" isn't very readable.
I'd be very surprised if nobody yet implemented his own "printOut" methods,
possibly producing input for the standard Unix utilities, in order to improve
the printing.
Thanks in advance for your solutions or suggestions.
Marc BOUSSE
IRISA (Institut de Recherche en Informatique et Systemes Aleatoires)
Campus de Beaulieu - 35042 RENNES Cedex - FRANCE
Tel: (33) 99.36.20.00 			E-Mail:   bousse@irisa.irisa.fr

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (03/24/89)

In article <1090@irisa.UUCP> bousse@irisa.UUCP (Marc Bousse) writes:
>I'm working on a ParcPlace VI.2.2 image on a Sun 3/60, and I was quite
>surprised to find out that the "printOut" command in fact defaults to
>"fileOut". This is really unfortunate for any Smalltalk user needing a
>readable listing of his classes+methods: "fileOut" isn't very readable.
>Marc BOUSSE
>IRISA (Institut de Recherche en Informatique et Systemes Aleatoires)
>Campus de Beaulieu - 35042 RENNES Cedex - FRANCE
>Tel: (33) 99.36.20.00 			E-Mail:   bousse@irisa.irisa.fr

The printOut defaults to fileOut. However, if you look under
/usr/smalltalk/printing (or wherever you are storing it) there are
files which, when filed in, will make printOut generate postscript
files when "printOut" is invoked. This works very nicely on postscript
printers, but cannot be used if you do not have postscript.
Hope this helps -- Darren New