[comp.lang.smalltalk] Little Smalltalk Verion 3

budd@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Budd) (04/08/89)

LITTLE SMALLTALK VERSION 3 NOW AVAILABLE.

Little Smalltalk version 3 is now available via anonymous ftp.
Version 3 fixes many of the bugs in version 2, is faster, is closer to
the book, does more in Smalltalk and less in C, runs on the PC as well as
under Unix, works with X-windows, runs on the Macintosh,
and still has terrible documentation (will try to fix that sometime this
summer).

To get it, anonymous ftp to cs.orst.edu, then change to pub/budd,
and grab small.v3.tar.Z  (figure out you forgot to set binary mode, curse,
set binary mode, and do it again).   Uncompress, untar, then read README.

--tim budd
p.s. yes, this is public domain so you can share it with your friends.
If you make extensive and interesting modifications, such as porting it to
a CRAY or something, let me know and it might make it into the next
distribution.

mark@avocado.ucsb.edu (Probert) (04/10/89)

In article <9852@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> budd@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Budd) writes:
>LITTLE SMALLTALK VERSION 3 NOW AVAILABLE.
>
>Little Smalltalk version 3 is now available via anonymous ftp.

I ftp'd Smalltalk with no problems.  Unfortunately the installation requires
guido van rossums standard window package to compile on a Macintosh.  Does
anyone know where I could ftp this software?  Or would someone please mail it
to me?

Thanks,

Mark Probert
probert@aviary.gm.hac.com

laba-4he@e260-4b.berkeley.edu (The Cybermat Rider) (04/10/89)

In article <1437@hub.ucsb.edu> probert@aviary.gm.hac.com writes:
>I ftp'd Smalltalk with no problems.  Unfortunately the installation requires
>guido van rossums standard window package to compile on a Macintosh.  Does
>anyone know where I could ftp this software?  Or would someone please mail it
>to me?

gatekeeper.dec.com [128.45.9.52] -- print install.ms for full details.

By the way, there seems to be one source file missing from the stdwin
distribution (I think it was stdwin/textedit/textbrk.c).  I'll see if I can
contact either Tim Budd or Guido van Rossums and get it.  If I do, I'll post
it here, if there are no objections.

>Thanks,
>
>Mark Probert
>probert@aviary.gm.hac.com

Adrian Ho a.k.a. The Cybermat Rider	  University of California, Berkeley
laba-4he@web.berkeley.edu		(WEB Evans, Home of The CS Freakies)
Disclaimer:  Nobody takes me seriously, so is it really necessary?

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (04/10/89)

In article <1437@hub.ucsb.edu> probert@aviary.gm.hac.com writes:

>I ftp'd Smalltalk with no problems.  Unfortunately the installation requires
>guido van rossums standard window package to compile on a Macintosh.  Does
>anyone know where I could ftp this software?  Or would someone please mail it
>to me?

Me too.

Thanks in advance!

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (04/11/89)

In article <1437@hub.ucsb.edu> probert@aviary.gm.hac.com writes:
>I ftp'd Smalltalk with no problems.  Unfortunately the installation requires
>guido van rossums standard window package to compile on a Macintosh.  Does
>anyone know where I could ftp this software?  Or would someone please mail it
>to me?

OK, here I am, the author of STDWIN.  (I wasn't reading these newsgroups
so wasn't aware of the announcement of Little Smalltalk on the net until
requests for STDWIN came flowing in.  Thanks to Hugh Smith of Nottingham
University for pointing this out to me.)

Maybe a more convenient to get STDWIN is from uunet.uu.net; it's in
subdirectory amiga-sources/stdwin (for no good reason) and slightly (only
very slightly) more up-to-date than the gatekeeper.src.dec.com version
mentioned in another reply to the above article.

BTW, I have fixed a few bugs both in Mac STDWIN and Little Smalltalk's
code; I will post fixes here as soon as I have sorted them out.

If you have ABSOLUTELY no way to get STDWIN via ftp, you can mail me.
Please mention your full name and a good mail reply path, and select
which version(s) you want.  I have:

(x11)		X11 (works with releases 2 and 3)
(mac)		Macintosh (LightspeedC 2.15 or 3.0, or MPW 2.0)
(atari)		Atari ST (Mark Williams C 2.1; OTHER COMPILERS REQUIRE WORK)
(termcap)	unix with termcap (not very useful; no graphics)
(msdos)		MS-DOS with ASCII display (same)

--
Guido van Rossum, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam
guido@cwi.nl or mcvax!guido or guido%cwi.nl@uunet.uu.net

gandreas@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Glenn Andreas) (04/11/89)

In article <22841@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-4he@e260-4b.berkeley.edu (The Cybermat Rider) writes:
>In article <1437@hub.ucsb.edu> probert@aviary.gm.hac.com writes:
>>I ftp'd Smalltalk with no problems.  Unfortunately the installation requires
>>guido van rossums standard window package to compile on a Macintosh.  Does
>>anyone know where I could ftp this software?  Or would someone please mail it
>>to me?

>By the way, there seems to be one source file missing from the stdwin
>distribution (I think it was stdwin/textedit/textbrk.c).  I'll see if I can
There is a file "stdwin/gen/textbrk.c", if this is what you are looking for.

I have (after a few hours of fighting) gotten stdwin to compile (had to work
out some problems with duplicate symbols) and make a project for initial.
That compiles fine, but I have yet to get it to be able to make the initial
system image file.  At first there was a problem with new objects - they
would often have junk in them and so the first time basicAtPut was called
(when everything is initialized), it would see that the field held a pointer
so it would try to decrement it.  This object, of course, was not an object
at all, leading to a nice crash.  (It was simple to fix this by adding a
small loop at the end of the new object routine to clear the object to a
bunch of nilobjs)

But, now I can read in all the files, getting a compiler warning about
"mouseDownAt has the same value as temporary y" (or something like that), yet
when it tries to initialize the image (sending the "nil initialize" message)
it ends up dies with "error handler not found".  Adding a few debugging
statements (and thanks to lots of memory and LSC 3), I discovered that
somehow an ordinary message no longer gets found.  My guess is that something
is not getting initialized properly, since it dies at different points each
time.  Sometimes it dies on the "nil initialize" message send, other times
it is way off in "createGlobals" and dies at things like "==" or "new" or
"value".  Any guesses?  (BTW, LSC, ooop, THINK C 3.01, IIx, 4 megs of memory,
system 6.0.3)  I know that I'm not running out of memory, 'cuz I made it
into an application, gave it 2.5 megs, and it still didn't work (the finder
telling me that it was using about 300-400k).

= "Whether you like it, or don't like it, sit   | - gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu - =
=  back and take a look at it, because it's the |   Glenn Andreas           =
=  best going today!  WOOOOoooo!" - Ric Flair   |                           =

mo@prisma (04/12/89)

The textbrk.c file is actually in the gen directory instead
of textedit.
	-Mike

PS - I have Little Smalltalk 3 running with X, but it crashes my
awm window manager if you tweek it just right.

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (04/13/89)

In article <946@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (Glenn Andreas) writes:
>I have (after a few hours of fighting) gotten stdwin to compile (had to work
>out some problems with duplicate symbols) and make a project for initial.
>That compiles fine, but I have yet to get it to be able to make the initial
>system image file.  [detailed description of bugs found]

Strange.  I have brought it up on the Mac just fine; also with Think C
3.01, on a Mac+, 1Meg, unknown (but fairly recent) system file.  The
only difference is that I am using a later version of STDWIN than you
got through ftp; the ftp version is for LSC 2.15 or even earlier.
You could go check if there is a file "malloc.c" in the STDWIN project;
throw it out, it is no longer needed in Think C 3.01.

BTW, here's one bugfix to Mac STDWIN:

In file stdwin.c, function wclose, replace this:

	if (win == active)
		active= NULL;

by this:

	if (win == active) {
		rmlocalmenus(win);
		active= NULL;
	}

This fixes an annoying bug that is triggered by closing browser windows.

I'll try to find some time to prepare a new distribution version, test
it, and install it on uunet (and maybe even on gatekeeper), but this
will be at least another week.