[comp.lang.smalltalk] Meta-answers to my question

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/05/89)

pointed out that simply printing the occurrences for each letter is a rather
artificial goal.  One usually accesses these frequencies for some other
purpose, and in that case, the resultant bag is the best way to do this.

That is, to actually use the occurrences array in, say, C, one would
say "freq[letter-'a']", which is rather artificial, while in Smalltalk, one
would say "freq occurrencesOf: letter".

One thing that scares me about Smalltalk is that it is something totally
new (and WONDERFUL:-)) to me, but it has been around for a long time!
It just hit me that I had read about PARC's Dynabook (was it called that?)
and its Smalltalk environment more than 10 years ago.  If I am just now
learning Smalltalk and OOPS, how far behind the "state of the art" I must
be. :-(

[Editorial Note: If anyone out there thinks that I am posting too many
messages to this group, please drop me a line and tell me to back off.  I
am writing under the assumption that this group doesn't have much traffic
anyway, and there might be rookies out there--like me--who are either wondering
about Smalltalk or who are picking it up on their own, and they might benefit,
as I am, from learning the "Smalltalk way" of doing things.]

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

uucigj@sw1e.UUCP (3531]) (05/06/89)

In article <17301@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
...stuff deleted

>[Editorial Note: If anyone out there thinks that I am posting too many
>messages to this group, please drop me a line and tell me to back off.  I
>am writing under the assumption that this group doesn't have much traffic
>anyway, and there might be rookies out there--like me--who are either wondering
>about Smalltalk or who are picking it up on their own, and they might benefit,
>as I am, from learning the "Smalltalk way" of doing things.]
>

>Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

I for one appreciate that last comment.  I am one of those rookies that is
just learning about smalltalk and enjoy reading about questions that arise.
I hope that no one is offended by the number of postings either.
Gregg Jensen

<Signature not found>