[comp.lang.smalltalk] Request for your favorite OOP idea for possible implementation!

cszthomas@qut.edu.au (05/24/89)

Hi there,

	I am currently involved in some research into adding OOP
extensions to modern modular languages.  I would value any pertinent
ideas or theories that anyone might have as to the best manner of
doing this and exactly what should be implemented (eg. multiple
inheritance/single inheritance, etc.)

	If you have an idea that you just want to throw at me then
EMAIL it to me.  On the other hand if you think it would make a
good discussion topic by all means post it to the relevant area.
If you do EMAIL anything to me I can't guarantee that I'll be able
to reply, our mail system is particularily user hostile and won't
let me mail out to sites it doesn't know about.

	Thanks in advance.

@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@
{ Richard Thomas  aka. The AppleByter                            }
{   "42" - Douglas Adams                                         }
{                                                                }
{ ACSNet:   richard@qitfit.qitcs.oz                              }
{ InterNet: CSZTHOMAS@QUT.EDU.AU                                 }
{ JANET:    CSZTHOMAS@AU.EDU.QUT                                 }
{ BITNET:   CSZTHOMAS%AU.EDU.QUT@EAN.AC.UK                       }
{ ARPANet:  as previous@UKACRL.BITNET                            }
{ PSI:      PSI%505272223015::CSZTHOMAS                          }
{ Voice:    (07) 394-3861                                        }
{ Snail:    3/11 Haig St.                                        }
{	    Coorparoo, QLD  4151                                 }
@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@

rsimonian@x102c.harris-atd.com (Simonian RP 66449) (05/26/89)

In article <3719@qut.edu.au> cszthomas@qut.edu.au writes:
>	I am currently involved in some research into adding OOP
>extensions to modern modular languages.  I would value any pertinent
>ideas or theories that anyone might have as to the best manner of
>doing this and exactly what should be implemented (eg. multiple
>inheritance/single inheritance, etc.)

I can't e-mail anything to your site, so I'll just post this...

At Harris Corp., we have developed  a system called InnovAda
which allows true object-oriented programming in the Ada language.  It
provides multiple inheritance, dynamic binding, message passing,
asynchronous objects, and all the other stuff that Ada itself provides
(such as information hiding and abstraction).  The user defines classes
and methods, either through a window environment similar to Smalltalk,
or by submitting the definitions in batch mode.  InnovAda generates the
required Ada source code.  (Method bodies are written by the user in
Ada, and can certainly use message passing operations.)  So InnovAda is
basically a preprocessor which creates compilable and portable Ada code.
Modifications to a system are done through InnovAda on the class and
method definitions, rather than directly on the generated code.
It works very well, and is especially useful for creating dynamic systems
that Ada normally has problems with, such as Artificial Intelligence.
Through conference presentations, I've found that the Ada community is in
favor of such a tool due to the productivity increases possible with
object-oriented development.  For more info, see the Nov/Dec 1988 issue
of the "Journal of Object-Oriented Programming."

--
Richard P. Simonian     407/984-6006
Natural Language Processing Group