[comp.lang.smalltalk] OODBs summary of replies

aidan@shire.newcastle.ac.uk (Aidan Saunders) (07/26/89)

A few weeks back I asked on behalf of a colleague for info about
Object-Oriented Databases (preferably freebie !)  Many thanks to
all those who replied.  Here is the summary of responses.
-----------

The consensus of opinion with regard to OODB's was that freebies
were v. unlikely to be available. Many persons described the
subject of OODB's as "young enough that no industrially useable
high quality system exist" and that the available dB's were
"various prototypes in different states of maturation".

However, some interesting products were suggested. On the cheap
side of things Intermedia ($150 on Mac.) and Observer(~$80 from
Brown University) were detailed. Has anyone used these systems?

Commercial databases quoted included:-
 G-BASE (GRAPHAEL), Gem-Store(ONTOLOGIC), Static(Symbolics),
 VBase (SERVIO LOGIC) and Generis (DSL).

dB's from recent research topics detailed included:-
 AVANCE(Stockholm Uni.), GARDEN(Brown Uni.), JASMINE(Fujitsu/AIST
 /MITI), LOB(Compiegne Uni.), OBJFADS/POSTGRES(Berkekey) and
 ORION (MCC).

Other suggestions involved writing a dB from scratch using an
OO language (Smalltalk,C++ etc.) or else using a toolkit like
KEE or ART.

A number of conclusions are thus drawn. The requirement, just to
remind us, is to use an ooedb as a tool for implementing a conceptual
schema etc... The choice is clear. Either write it myself or else
convince others that it is worth investing of the order of $xK ;
where x is an integer, to buy an existing system that is not
exceptionally established.

Any comments/suggestions.

             Brian King

-----------
aidan
a.c.g.saunders@newcastle.ac.uk

aff@lear.cs.duke.edu (Amr F. Fahmy) (07/29/89)

In article <1989Jul26.081130.4455@newcastle.ac.uk> :
Stuff deleted.
>Other suggestions involved writing a dB from scratch using an
>OO language (Smalltalk,C++ etc.) or else using a toolkit like
>KEE or ART.
 ^^^    ^^^

>             Brian King

Stuff deleted.

What is KEE and ART ?
Amr F. Fahmy
aff@duke.edu

lewis@Data-IO.COM (Larry Lewis) (07/29/89)

You might be interested in IRIS from HP. Try calling Becky Garlock at (408)
447-0356

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (07/30/89)

In article <15141@duke.cs.duke.edu> aff@lear.cs.duke.edu (Amr F. Fahmy) writes:

> What is KEE and ART ?

KEE and ART are so-called "expert system shells."  That is, each
provides a toolkit for building expert systems.  Both KEE
(Intellicorp) and ART (Inference Corp.) support object-oriented
knowledge bases, with inheritance, etc.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

baertsch@inf.ethz.ch (Martin Baertschi) (07/31/89)

aidan@shire.newcastle.ac.uk (Aidan Saunders) writes:
>Commercial databases quoted included:-
> G-BASE (GRAPHAEL), Gem-Store(ONTOLOGIC), Static(Symbolics),
> VBase (SERVIO LOGIC) and Generis (DSL).
>dB's from recent research topics detailed included:-
> AVANCE(Stockholm Uni.), GARDEN(Brown Uni.), JASMINE(Fujitsu/AIST
> /MITI), LOB(Compiegne Uni.), OBJFADS/POSTGRES(Berkekey) and
> ORION (MCC).
>Any comments/suggestions.
>
>             Brian King

Some of the product names and suppliers got mixed up:
Vbase is from ONTOLOGIC (the next version is called OB2),
GemStone is from SERVIO LOGIC.

I am missing IRIS from HP Labs amongst the research projects.

M. Baertschi

mark@drd.UUCP (Mark Lawrence) (08/01/89)

aff@lear.UUCP (Amr F. Fahmy) wrote:
} What is KEE and ART ?

KEE stands for Knowledge Engineering Environment and is the name of a
product normally used for building expert systems from Intellicorp.  ART
stands for something else that I can't remember (may be Advanced
Reasoning Tool) because its been 4 years and is of the same genre as kee.
They both cost a lot and use computational resources like a confirmed
antiecologist.