[comp.lang.smalltalk] book on MVC triad

minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) (06/21/89)

In Pinson and Wiener's book on "Object oriented programming using
Smalltalk" (a fairly useful introduction for a novice such as myself)
there is mention of an upcoming Addison and Wesley-published book
on the Model-View-Controller triad.  However, no author, date of
publication, etc., was included.

Does anyone know if this book exists, or when, or etc.

Thanks,

Greg Minshall				Kinetics, a division of Excelan
minshall@kinetics.com			1-415-947-0998

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (06/25/89)

In article <770@kinetics.UUCP> minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) writes:
>In Pinson and Wiener's book on "Object oriented programming using
>Smalltalk" (a fairly useful introduction for a novice such as myself)
>there is mention of an upcoming Addison and Wesley-published book
>on the Model-View-Controller triad.  However, no author, date of
>publication, etc., was included.

Probably this is the never published fourth book in the Smalltalk-80 series.
It should cover the design and implementation of user-interfaces in Smalltalk-80
(The 'blue' book contains the language and virtual machine specification,
the 'orange' book is a user-interface tutorial and the 'green' one contains
a collection of articles about the history of Smalltalk-80).

As a replacement an article about the MVC-paradigm was published in one of
the last issues of the JOOP (can't remember the number). One of the authors
is Stephen Pope (stp@parcplace.com) of ParcPlace-Systems. Perhaps he can send
you a copy of the article.

	Andreas Toenne
	atoenne@unido.uucp

stp@pplace.COM (Stephen Travis Pope) (06/27/89)

The article that was mentioned by Andreas Toenne in <1438@laura.uucp> is
called "A Cookbook for Using the Model/View/Controller User Interface
Paradigm in Smalltalk-80" and is by Glenn E. Krasner and myself.

It appeared in the Journal of Object-Oriented Programming (JOOP),
Volume 1 Number 3, August, 1988 pages 26-49.

Back issues of JOOP can be ordered from the publisher:
	SIGS Publications
	310 Madison Ave.  Suite 503
	New York, New York 10017

or by calling them at (212) 972-7055.

While I'd love to be kind and generous, I've received about 20 requests
for copies of the article since Andreas posted his note and unfortunately
have too much going on this week...

thanx

stp

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (06/27/89)

In article <1438@laura.UUCP>, atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne)
> writes: Probably this is the never published fourth book in the
> Smalltalk-80 series....  (The 'blue' book contains the language and
> virtual machine specification, the 'orange' book is a user-interface
> tutorial and the 'green' one contains a collection of articles about
> the history of Smalltalk-80).

I noticed a purple Smalltalk-80 book in a bookstore the other day.
The title is "Smalltalk-80:  The Language", so it's a trimmed version
of the blue book.  Drat, for a second or two I was really excited
about the MVC book finally making it out.

Does anybody know if the eratta for the blue book were incorporated
into the purple book?

> As a replacement an article about the MVC-paradigm was published in one of
> the last issues of the JOOP (can't remember the number).

Volume 1, no. 4 of HOOPLA (join OOPSTAD for $25/yr to get it) has a
very readable article by Sam S. Adams about the the MVC paradigm,
complete with a couple of examples.  JOOP is rather expensive for some
of us.

Charles Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) (06/27/89)

In article (770@kinetics.UUCP) minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) writes:

>>In Pinson and Wiener's book on "Object oriented programming using
>>Smalltalk" (a fairly useful introduction for a novice such as myself)
>>there is mention of an upcoming Addison and Wesley-published book
>>on the Model-View-Controller triad.	However, no author, date of
>>publication, etc., was included.

There is a book called "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and
Graphical Applications" ISBN (11370-8), I think that is the book you
are looking for.

However (I think it was) in "Smalltalk-80: The interactive programming
environment" Goldberg writes that the MVC book ("Creating a user...etc")
has not been published yet.

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/29/89)

>I noticed a purple Smalltalk-80 book in a bookstore the other day.
I've heard rumors that there is a "white" book available about the MVC.
I've also heard it is useless to those not fluent in Japanese :-(.
				-- Darren

nigel@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (Nigel Cliffe) (06/29/89)

In article <1034@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) writes:
> In article (770@kinetics.UUCP) minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) writes:

> >>there is mention of an upcoming Addison and Wesley-published book
> >>on the Model-View-Controller triad.	However, no author, date of
> >>publication, etc., was included.

> There is a book called "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and
> Graphical Applications" ISBN (11370-8), I think that is the book you
> are looking for.

Unfortunately, I don't think the above book was ever written. When
I attended a Smalltalk training course given by one of the Xerox development
people a year or two back, the tutor said that the book got as far as
one sheet of paper, and hadn't been taken further for a variety of reasons
(eg: not sure how to teach MVC, not sure if it is the right way of doing
it, most of the then current version of ST80 didn't use MVC, and would
be a big job to convert).

Of course, I may be wrong and someone has finished it.

--
   Nigel Cliffe  -

     British Telecom Research Labs, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, UK
   voice: +44 473 645275   fax: +44 473 637557   email: nigel@hfnet.bt.co.uk

david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor) (06/29/89)

In article <2332@pur-phy>, cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) writes:

> Volume 1, no. 4 of HOOPLA (join OOPSTAD for $25/yr to get it) has a
> very readable article by Sam S. Adams about the the MVC paradigm,
> complete with a couple of examples.  JOOP is rather expensive for some
> of us.

Indeed it is.

Now, how can I reach OOPSTAD for HOOPLA subscription and back issues?

buck@scs.Carleton.CA (David Buck) (07/05/89)

In article <583@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk> nigel@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (Nigel Cliffe) writes:
>In article <1034@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) writes:
>> In article (770@kinetics.UUCP) minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) writes:
>

>> There is a book called "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and
>> Graphical Applications" ISBN (11370-8), I think that is the book you
>> are looking for.

Actually, there is a new book coming out called "Inside Smalltalk" by
John Pugh and Wilf LaLonde - the authors of "The Smalltalk Column" in
JOOP.  The book will cover the basics of the Smalltalk language and will
discuss the windowing system in great detail. The MVC paradigm is covered
in detail with many examples.  The book will be available in January.

David Buck
Carleton University

knight@scs.carleton.ca (Alan Knight) (07/06/89)

In message <575@scs.Carleton.CA>, buck@scs.Carleton.CA (David Buck) writes:
> Actually, there is a new book coming out called "Inside Smalltalk" by
> John Pugh and Wilf LaLonde - the authors of "The Smalltalk Column" in
> JOOP.  The book will cover the basics of the Smalltalk language and will
> discuss the windowing system in great detail. The MVC paradigm is covered
> in detail with many examples.  The book will be available in January.
>
> David Buck
> Carleton University

Hmmm, you mean we can send mail from here and it works?

khaw@pplace.COM (Mike Khaw) (08/08/89)

<624@cullsj.UUCP>, by david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor):
> Now, how can I reach OOPSTAD for HOOPLA subscription and back issues?

OOPSTAD
P.O. Box 1565
Everett, WA 98206-1565

Mike Khaw
--
ParcPlace Systems, 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043	415/691-6749
Domain=khaw@parcplace.com, UUCP={uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!khaw