[comp.lang.smalltalk] REKURSIV object-oriented architecture

ssmith@joplin.mpr.ca (Shaun Smith) (08/11/89)

Does anyone have any experience with Linn Smart Computing's REKURSIV chip
set or the HADES VME board that makes use of it?

REKURSIV is an object-oriented machine architecture that is micro-codeable
with the instruction set of your choice.  One  can implement the
Smalltalk byte-code instruction set as the instruction set of the REKURSIV
thus creating a hardware Smalltalk machine!  I believe that this has already
been done by Linn.

More important than its ability to be micro-coded is the fact that it itself
is object-oriented hardware.

I'd really be interested to know if anyone has tried it out and what they
thought of it.

Please respond by e-mail and I'll post a summary.  This discussion really
belongs on the yet to be established comp.lang.oop (VOTE YES!), but since
it is not yet established, and there is some connection with Smalltalk, I
thought that this would be the best place for it.

     Shaun

Shaun M. Smith                  | ssmith@joplin.mpr.ca
Microtel Pacific Research       | joplin.mpr.ca!ssmith@uunet.uu.net
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | ssmith%joplin.mpr.ca@relay.ubc.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5, (604) 293-5345 | ...!ubc-vision!joplinmpr.ca!ssmith

heins@hpdml93.HP.COM (Doug Heins) (08/14/89)

Hello Shaun,

	Please forward any information I obtain on the micro-codeable
chip - as I am also interested in hardware implementations of OOP paradigms.
thanks !!!!

Cheers,

Doug Heins
heins@hpbsl88
heins%hpbsla@hplabs.HP.COM

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (08/16/89)

In article <1790001@hpdml93.HP.COM> heins@hpdml93.HP.COM (Doug Heins) writes:
>       Please forward any information I obtain on the micro-codeable
>chip - as I am also interested in hardware implementations of OOP paradigms.
>thanks !!!!

Check out the November 1988 issue of Byte for an article on
the Rekursiv chip set.  Sounds too cool to be true.

(line fodder)

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

ssmith@joplin.mpr.ca (Shaun Smith) (08/18/89)

I've read the article in BYTE on the REKURSIV chip set and I also have
the book by David Harland, the exact title of which escapes me.  I believe
is: _REKURSIV:_object-oriented_architecture_.

What I'd really like to hear about are actual experiences!  Has anybody ever
seen a product based on the REKURSIV chip set?  If you have, did it run
Smalltalk?  And if it did, what was it's performance like?