[comp.lang.smalltalk] Color Smalltalk anyone?

mmackay+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael MacKay) (08/24/89)

A simple question, yes?

I have only seen monochromatic versions of Smalltalk. Mind you, I'm not
specifically talking about the use of Smalltalk for work on color
graphics problems, I think I understand this. Just simply, does anyone
have a color or grayscale version of the environment... platform is
secondary (however 386 or MacII would be nice...).

Of course, this is hot on the heel of last week's message about graphic
limitations inherent in the Smalltalk design.

Thanks,

--Mike

P.S. If this is an old question, sorry for the hassle.

Michael MacKay
Information Technology Center
Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA: mmackay+@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP: !harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mmackay
Office: (412) 268-6744
Snail mail:
	Carnegie Mellon University
	Information Technology Center
	Attn. Michael MacKay, UCC203
	4910 Forbes Avenue
	Pittsburgh, PA    15213-3890
Disclaimer:  #include<std_legal.h>

bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) (08/24/89)

>Just simply, does anyone
>have a color or grayscale version of the environment...

Tektronix did a wonderful job of creating a color Smalltalk and it
was described in a number of papers in the last OOPSLA.  They used
dithering to create more colors than were available on the screen,
and other well thought out features.

Bjorn N. Freeman-Benson

madhu@hubcap.clemson.edu (m a d h u) (08/25/89)

In article <34264@apple.Apple.COM>, bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
> They used dithering to create more colors than were available on the screen,
> and other well thought out features.

Thought they could just have 16 colors, could they do a whole set of 256
grays ??
We wrote User primitives to handle the 256 color pallete for st-80. Its not
the same as having color integrated in the environment I guess....What
would be the difference, any comments ?
> Bjorn N. Freeman-Benson
  madhu    Raman

lpj@hpctdlu.HP.COM (Laura Johnson) (08/25/89)

Digitalk's Smalltalk/V 286 runs in color (EGA and VGA are supported, among
others).  It runs on 286 or 386 machines.

riks@csl.sony.co.jp (Rik Smoody) (08/25/89)

In article <gYwlrny00UkmI0fkUy@andrew.cmu.edu> mmackay+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael MacKay) writes:
>specifically talking about the use of Smalltalk for work on color
>graphics problems, I think I understand this. Just simply, does anyone
>have a color or grayscale version of the environment... platform is
If you hurry, you can probably get a pretty good color Smalltalk
on a Tektronix 4317 or 4319.
Pretty good means a lot more sophistication in access than a
method to set "red:green:blue:"
Greyscale may also still be available.
Hurry because Tek is getting out of the Smalltalk business.  8-(

Rik Fischer Smoody
Sony Computer Science Lab, Inc.
3-14-13 Higashigotanda, Shinagawa-ku
Tokyo 141 Japan