[comp.lang.smalltalk] PP ST-80 vs. Common Lisp

rehbold@uklirb.UUCP (Robert Rehbold) (09/22/89)

Hello everybody,

I've got a question: Is Smalltalk-80 faster or slower than Lisp?

We've implemented systems in ParcPlace ST80 V2.3; and we've implemented
systems in Lucid Common Lisp, both on SUN 3/60, and still aren't sure
which language to favour. Currently we consider reimplementing a prototype
we developed in Lisp; the question is whether to do it in Lisp again or
in Smalltalk (which would fit better into our general line). Has anybody
out there implemented the same system in both languages and can tell
anything about the performance (time, space etc.) of both versions?

Thanks!
Robert

| e-mail:    rehbold@uklirb.UUCP     or       ..!mcvax!unido!uklirb!rehbold  |
| real name: Robert Rehbold, University of Kaiserslautern                    |
|            Department of Computer Science                                  |
|            PO-Box 3049, D-6750 Kaiserslautern, West-Germany                |
--

frobozz@well.UUCP (Jordan Bortz) (10/15/89)

rehbold@uklirb.UUCP (Robert Rehbold) writes:

>Hello everybody,

>I've got a question: Is Smalltalk-80 faster or slower than Lisp?

>We've implemented systems in ParcPlace ST80 V2.3; and we've implemented
>systems in Lucid Common Lisp, both on SUN 3/60, and still aren't sure
>which language to favour....

It seems that a general benchmark suite needs to be developed to benchmark
Smalltalk against languages like LISP, as well as more efficient languages
like C.

It seems to me that the benchmarks should make use of recursion, dynamic message
lookup, list-structure manipulation, array manipulation, string manipulation,
floating-point, small integer arithmetic, large integer arithmetic, and general
computation....

Has anyone developed such benchmarks for C/Lisp/Smalltalk?

	Jordan