[comp.lang.smalltalk] SmallTalks for the MAC

dean@uranus.Berkeley.EDU (12/03/88)

I know of the following Smalltalks for the Mac...Does anyone know of any
others, and/or have any comments about any of the following:
	Apple's Smalltalk-80 v0.4 from APDA (last version I know of...)
	Digitalk's Smalltalk V/Mac (announced in August, is it shipping yet ?)
I know Parc Place Systems also has one, but the price ($995 last I heard) is
prohibitive, unless they have some _very_ good educational pricing ?
(I have a Mac SE, 1Mb RAM :-(, 20Mb hard disk, and also wonder if this is
enough computer to run any real Smalltalk on...I'm a Smalltalk total novice
but am interested in OOP....)
Thanks for any advice,

Drew Dean
Internet: dean@xcssun.berkeley.edu
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!xcssun!dean
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

georg@exunido.uucp (Georg A. M. Heeg) (12/06/88)

In article <7963@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dean@xcssun.Berkeley.EDU () writes:
>I know Parc Place Systems also has one, but the price ($995 last I heard) is
>prohibitive, unless they have some _very_ good educational pricing ?

Yes, discount is available for educational institutions and their individuals:
app. 149 US $ for the US, 399 DM (incl. VAT) for Germany, 356,14 DM for
Austria, BeNeLux and Switzerland (excl VAT)

Furthermore there is a site license programme called ParcRanger. For details
please contact your local ParcPlace agent.

>(I have a Mac SE, 1Mb RAM :-(, 20Mb hard disk, and also wonder if this is
>enough computer to run any real Smalltalk on...I'm a Smalltalk total novice
>but am interested in OOP....)

2 MB main memory is the very least figure to bring up Smalltalk-80 version 2.3.
More memory (4 MB) is strongly recommented for medium size applications.

In this area please contact me, elsewhere (US, Canada,...) please contact
ParcPlace Systems, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, Ca, 94303,
e-mail: sales@ParcPlace.com,  phone: x1-415) 859-1000.

Georg Heeg
Smalltalk-80 Systems
Baroper Str. 337
D-4600 Dortmund 50
phone: (x49-231) 75 13 26
e-mail: georg@unido.{uucp,bitnet}

Jan@ucl-cs.UUCP (12/06/88)

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Educational Price for ParcPlace
Smalltalk-80 on the Mac (any Mac with >= 10MB disc and >= 2MB RAM) is only
$149 (admittedly without full site customer support).

Jan.

FROM : Jan Andrew Purchase          | Snail:     Room 208, PhD Lab.,
at   : pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk	    |            Computer Science Dept.,
			            |		 University College,
				    |		 London, UK.
JANET   : purchase@uk.ac.ucl.cs	    |
ARPANET : purchase@cs.ucl.ac.uk
UUCP	: {... ukc!}ucl.cs!purchase
      (these are my views, and are not necessarily those of UCL)

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (12/10/88)

Smalltak/V Mac is available for $150 from APDA.  As of 88 Dec 9
they're backordered by a week or so.  APDA can be reached at

	290 SW 43rd St.
	Renton, WA  98055
	206/251-6548

Charles Allen			cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

jp@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jefferson Provost) (12/06/89)

Hi,

I'm considering taking on a progamming project soon that seems like it
would be well suited for object oriented programming.  I want to do it
in SmallTalk , or at least to the prototyping in SmallTalk.

The project is going to be done on the Mac, but I don't really know
anything about the SmallTalks available for the Mac.

I am particularly concerned with the ability to create stand-alone
applications.

Any info y'all could send me would be appreciated.

(yeah, yeah, I know there have been a bunch of this sort of request
lately...  I figured I might as well throw  mine into the ring too.)

Thanx in advance,

Jefferson

jp@unix.cis.pitt.edu
jp@PITTVMS  (BITnet)