[comp.lang.smalltalk] A philosophic question

rkc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (rkc) (12/14/89)

I was reading ab book on Smalltalk today (Smalltalk-80, Bits of History, Words
of Advice by Glenn Krasner) and I was struck by the similarity of what I read
about the NeXT system's interface.  I've read elsewhere (Sorry, no reference)
that the major innovation in the Mac system was the ability to easily generate
and distribute new applications as separate entities from the system, and
having a relatively cheap laser printer didn't hurt either.  The cost was the
loss of the object oriented system that allowed the user to modify nearly all
aspects of his system.  (Side Note: it seems to me Apple has been trying to
regain this loss ever since--thus the proliferation of things like init's and
cdev's.)
  In many ways the NeXT was a return to several of the things that Apple's Mac
gave up--the object oriented system, etc., with a few updates to support
things that the original Mac had but lost (ie., the ability to carry your
system around on a single disk).  Thus it seems to me that the major
advances for the NeXT are in the MACH operating system with it's potential for
parallel computing.
  I'm continuously amazed by what the folks at Xerox did, but I can't
understand why they didn't build amazing computers and make a bundle while
everyone else was floundering with DOS.
  Any comments on
	1: Why Xerox didn't make a killing.
	2: What the Major improvements added by the NeXT folks are.
	3: Other Major improvements added by Apple in developing the Mac (or LISA).
  would be appreciated.

  That'll teach you to read phillosophy questions.
	-Rob

[...]

  That'll teach you to read phillosophic questions.
	-Rob

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (12/15/89)

In article <1634@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> rkc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (rkc) writes:
>[I'm amazed ... NeXT like Smalltalk, vs. Mac.]
>[Why didn't Xerox make  a killing?]

Read ``Fumbling the Future''.  It's a must read.

	;-D on  ( A bookish answer )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (12/15/89)

In RE:
>   I'm continuously amazed by what the folks at Xerox did, but I can't
> understand why they didn't build amazing computers and make a bundle while
> everyone else was floundering with DOS.
>   Any comments on
>         1: Why Xerox didn't make a killing.

About a year ago a book came out addressing this very question.  The
title was something like "Fumbling the Future: The invention of the
personal computer at Xerox."

Since as a matter of policy I never pay hardcover prices for a book, I
only had a chance to skim it in the bookstore, but it seemed pretty
good.  By now it should be out in paperback.

Check it out.

Stan Switzer  sjs@bellcore.com

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (12/15/89)

In article <1634@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> rkc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (rkc) writes:

>  Any comments on
>	1: Why Xerox didn't make a killing.

Read the book "Fumbling the future.  How Xerox invented, then ignored, the
first personal computer", by Douglas K. Smith and Robert C. Alexander.

It's an excellent book that explains a lot of what was going on at Xerox
during the early PARC days.

Remember, great technology does not a successful computer make!  Thank goodness
Jobs et al visited PARC and brought some of their great ideas to the masses.

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
 -------------+--------------------------------------

ncjuul@freja.diku.dk (Niels Christian Juul) (12/15/89)

And peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) responded:
>Read the book "Fumbling the future.  How Xerox invented, then ignored, the
>first personal computer", by Douglas K. Smith and Robert C. Alexander.
>It's an excellent book that explains a lot of what was going on at Xerox
>during the early PARC days.

May I also drive Your attentions towards a short overview of the Xerox
development history:
	"The Xerox Star: A Retrospective"
	by Jeff Johnson et al.
	in IEEE, Computer, september 1989, Vol22(9), p. 11-29
--Niels Christian Juul
  DIKU (aka Dept.Comp.Sci., Univ. of Copenhagen)
  Universitetsparken 1
  DK 2100 Copenhagen
  DENMARK
--ncjuul@diku.dk

.

kevin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Kevin Harris) (12/15/89)

In article <1634@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> rkc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (rkc) writes:

...	[ text deleted for brevity's sake]

>  I'm continuously amazed by what the folks at Xerox did, but I can't
>understand why they didn't build amazing computers and make a bundle while
>everyone else was floundering with DOS.
>  Any comments on
>	1: Why Xerox didn't make a killing.

Funny you should mention that. As some of you may know, Xerox filed
suit against Apple in Federal Court at San Fransisco yesterday, 14Dec89.
The full details of the suit can be found in today's "Wall Street Journal,"
but in short, it charges that Apple misappropriated software to which Xerox
holds the copyright and that this software may have been insturmental in the
user interface of the Macintosh. An interesting side affect of this suit is
that if the court finds for Xerox, Apple's claims against Microsoft and
Hewlett-Packard will be severly damaged if not moot.

>	2: What the Major improvements added by the NeXT folks are.
>	3: Other Major improvements added by Apple in developing the Mac (or LISA).
>  would be appreciated.
>
>  That'll teach you to read phillosophy questions.
>	-Rob
I realize that this is comp.sys.next and not an apple forum, but I believe
that it is pertanent (sic?) to Rob's original post.

|Kevin A. Harris           -  or  -         kevin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu |
|119th & Broadway; Rm. 212                                               |
|New York, N.Y. 10027                                                    |

|Kevin A. Harris           -  or  -         kevin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu |
|119th & Broadway; Rm. 212  "A type of acid and a type of unix both came |
|New York, N.Y. 10027        from Berkley.CA. Coincidence? I think not." |

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (12/16/89)

Rob -

Maybe Xerox will make some money off{ the graphical user interface and
the personal computer yet. They just sued Apple. Film at 11. -Russ