[comp.lang.smalltalk] performance question about ST80 v2.5 on MacII

whitney@sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) (12/13/89)

	I have been using Smalltalk-80 v2.3 from ParcPlace on a Macintosh II
computer with 5M of memory.  When I received my upgrade to v2.5 I noticed
a decrease in response of the windows.  In particular the first time a
window (say the browser) is created one to three seconds pass before the
window appears.  This is just long enough to be troubling.  Response time
improves after the first usage (as long the compiled version is still in the
native-method zone?).  I ran the standard benchmarks in v2.3 and v2.5 and
found v2.5 slower in screen io.

	My questions are:

1) Am I the only one that experiences this delay? Have I installed v2.5
incorrectly?

	I assume that the delay is caused by compiling methods to native code
for the first time, after which it is stored in native-method zone.

2) Does this means a similar delay occurs on other platforms? Is in
particular does this occur on Mac IIcx or Suns?

roger whitney
whitney@sdsu.edu
ucsd!sdsu!whitney

obrien@aerospace.aero.org (Mike O'Brien) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec12.202546.11965@sdsu.edu> whitney@sdsu.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) writes:

>	I have been using Smalltalk-80 v2.3 from ParcPlace on a Macintosh II
>computer with 5M of memory.  When I received my upgrade to v2.5 I noticed
>a decrease in response of the windows.
>1) Am I the only one that experiences this delay? Have I installed v2.5
>incorrectly?
>
>	I assume that the delay is caused by compiling methods to native code
>for the first time, after which it is stored in native-method zone.
>
>2) Does this means a similar delay occurs on other platforms? Is in
>particular does this occur on Mac IIcx or Suns?

It is definitely the case that the VM in 2.3 was written in assembler,
whereas the 2.5 VM is coded in C (for portability reasons).  My
understanding (i.e. this is rumor) is that the C compilers for the Mac
are not exactly up to snuff -- at least, the one ParcPlace used wasn't.

To find out if the n-method zone is causing your problems, just run
the benchmarks twice, and throw away the first reading.
--
Mike O'Brien
obrien@aerospace.aero.org

trl2@bunny.gte.com (Tom Lanning) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec12.202546.11965@sdsu.edu> whitney@sdsu.edu (Roger
Whitney) writes:
> a decrease in response of the windows.  In particular the first time a
> window (say the browser) is created one to three seconds pass before the
> window appears.  This is just long enough to be troubling.  Response
time
> 1) Am I the only one that experiences this delay? Have I installed v2.5
> incorrectly?

    I noticed this also on the Macintosh II.

Tom Lanning @ GTE Laboratories Incorporated
Apple Link: D5185,
Phone: (508) 466-4221
USENET: trl2@bunny.gte.com

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec12.202546.11965@sdsu.edu> whitney@sdsu.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) writes:

>	I have been using Smalltalk-80 v2.3 from ParcPlace on a Macintosh II
>computer with 5M of memory.  When I received my upgrade to v2.5 I noticed
>a decrease in response of the windows.
>1) Am I the only one that experiences this delay? Have I installed v2.5
>incorrectly?
>
>	I assume that the delay is caused by compiling methods to native code
>for the first time, after which it is stored in native-method zone.

Dynamic translation overhead is normally imperceptible to the user.  On
the Mac, the main reason for the performance difference between 2.3 and
2.5 is the change from a 68000 assembler implementation to a C
implementation of the VM.  The VM's performance is only as good as the
code emitted by the MPW 3.0 C compiler.

>2) Does this means a similar delay occurs on other platforms? Is in
>particular does this occur on Mac IIcx or Suns?

On Suns, you will notice a slight decline in speed, part of which is
because version 2.5 (and 2.4) only runs within a standard Sunview
window, whereas 2.3 could take over the screen.  Also, the standard VI
is somewhat larger, so on a system with not a lot of free RAM, version
2.5 is more likely to page than 2.3.  However, the overall change in
speed is not so noticeable on Suns as on the Mac.
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (12/20/89)

>[Slowdown more noticable on the Mac than the Sun]

Just for general entertainment, the following is part of a table from
``ParcPlace Newsletter, Autumn 1989, number 4.  The article is on
Objectworkds for Smalltalk-80.

	;-D on  ( Lies, damn lies, statistics, benchmarks, ... )  Pardo

Processor	Machine			ST version	Performacne
SPARC		Sun SPARCstation 330		2.5	600
SPARC		Sun SPARCstation 1		2.5	465
68030		Sun 3/4700			2.5	335
MIPS		DECstation 3100			2.5	328
SPARC		Sun 4/110			2.5	293
MIPS		DECstation 2100			2.5	265
80386		Sun386i				2.5	200
68020		Apollo DN4500			2.3	147
68000		Macintosh II-cx			2.5	120
80386		IBM PS/2 Model 70 (20Mhz)	2.5	110
68020		Sun 3/50			2.5	104
68020		Apollo DN580 Turbo		2.3	 85
68000		Macintosh SE			2.5	 19

[There's more, I got tired of typing]

Note: Benchmark statistics are approximate.  They vary depdending on
[...] A performacne level of roughly 100 is considered to give a user
full interactive ``feel.''
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (12/22/89)

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:

>Note: Benchmark statistics are approximate.  They vary depdending on
>[...] A performacne level of roughly 100 is considered to give a user
>full interactive ``feel.''

The Smalltalk-80 benchmarks are normalized to Dorado = 100.  The Xerox
Dorado was a microcoded 16-bit machine whose interactive Smalltalk
performance was one of the first to be considered "reasonably
responsive".  The published ParcPlace benchmarks are intended to
provide some idea how Smalltalk-80 on a particular machine stacks up
against the Dorado.

Your own subjective rating may vary, depending on host window system
performance, host graphics hardware performance, etc.