[comp.lang.smalltalk] correct `string' protocol??

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (01/14/90)

I am using Digitalk's Smalltalk V/286 to learn smalltalk. I'm am somewhat con
fused by the following:

Two of the three smalltalk texts that I have use the following format when
dealing with single quoted strings:

          Prompter prompt: `Name: ' default: `'

  ** note that the open quote is an ascii xx60, while the end quote is xx2C *

Another smalltalk text uses the following format in the same situation:

          Prompter prompt: 'Name: ' default: ''

  ** note that the open and end quotes are both ascii xx2C

(The V/286 manual uses the first format, but V/286 only works if you use the
second format.)

Is there a smalltalk standard? And if I need/want to change how V/286 works,
where (class?) would I go to change it?

Thanx for any assistance!

                                   - MJB -

wdr@wang.UUCP (William Ricker) (01/15/90)

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>Two of the three smalltalk texts that I have use the following format when
>dealing with single quoted strings:
>          Prompter prompt: `Name: ' default: `'
>  ** note that the open quote is an ascii xx60, while the end quote is xx2C *
>Another smalltalk text uses the following format in the same situation:
>          Prompter prompt: 'Name: ' default: ''
>  ** note that the open and end quotes are both ascii xx2C
>(The V/286 manual uses the first format, but V/286 only works if you use the
>second format.)

I'm afraid someone in the Technical Publishing department(s) at the
sources of the books is not technical enough.  There is a problem
in desktop publishing of getting too fancy; some systems and style
guides do a global search and destroy on typewriter quotes, changing them
with Artificial Ignorance to printers open-and-close quotes.

Digitalk's older (PC XT level) manuals for Smalltalk/V had no
such confusion, and Smalltalk/V PM edition has been corrected,
using a type-face with *vertical* open quotes for all code samples,
just like their screen font.

I don't know if Xerox/PARCPLACE ST uses printersquotes; if it does,
it would be, to my knowledge, unique among programming languages.

-Bill Ricker, erstwhile Smalltalk programmer