[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk-80 on Apollo's

gupta@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Ashok Gupta) (02/08/90)

Does ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.3, run under
Apollo SR10.2 (the Apollo operating system version) ?
... and SR10.1 ?

Has ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.5,
(ObjectWorks for Smalltalk-80) been ported to the
Apollo and if so does it run under SR10.2 ?
... and SR10.1 ?
If it has not been ported to the Apollo, anyone know
when it will be; indeed *if* it will be ...

Thanks

--
Ashok "Ash" Gupta
Post : Philips Research Labs, Crossoak Lane, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5HA, U.K.

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (02/15/90)

gupta@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Ashok Gupta) writes:

>Does ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.3, run under
>Apollo SR10.2 (the Apollo operating system version) ?
>... and SR10.1 ?

Version 2.3 runs under SR 10.1 and SR 10.2, but because Apollo
redesigned the implementation of ttys, serial i/o will not work; also,
because the object-code format changed between SR 9.x and SR 10.x, you
cannot link user-defined primitives to produce a new virtual machine.

>Has ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.5,
>(ObjectWorks for Smalltalk-80) been ported to the
>Apollo and if so does it run under SR10.2 ?
>... and SR10.1 ?
>If it has not been ported to the Apollo, anyone know
>when it will be; indeed *if* it will be ...

There are no plans at present to port 2.5 to the Apollo. ParcPlace is
currently beta testing 2.5 on the HP9000 series 300. Given that HP has
announced eventual binary compatibility between HP workstations and
Apollo workstations using the same CPU, when that comes to pass it
might not be unreasonable to expect that the version of Smalltalk-80
that runs on the HP9000 series 300 would also run on a MC680x0-based
Apollo. Disclaimer:  ParcPlace does not necessarily endorse this
statement.
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

sl11@prism.gatech.EDU (LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H) (02/15/90)

I am posting this for a friend without posting privileges.
Please direct all replies to him (Stan Hughes, sh25@prism.gatech.edu)

--------Begin included text--------

In article <1048@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> Ashok Gupta writes:

>Does ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.3, run under
>Apollo SR10.2 (the Apollo operating system version) ?
>... and SR10.1 ?

ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.3 is meant to run under Apollo Series
3000 or Series 4000 workstations, with OS DOMAIN 9.6 and 9.7.
It is suppose to run under Apollo DN570, DN580, and DN590 workstations
with 9.5 or a higher 9.x version.  (Ref. 'The Smalltalk-80 Programming
System,' version 2.3, Apollo Workstation, Installation Notes page 1)

We have installed Smalltalk-80 2.3 on the Apollo 3000, 3500, and 4500
running the  OS DOMAIN 10.2.  We have had some problems.  The problems
seems to stem from the new file structure in the 10.x OS.  I am unable
to create directories from within Smalltalk-80.  When I try to create
a directory I get something which looks like a circular link.
I have also had some minor problems reusing the save image file.
>From what I can tell the rest of Smalltalk seems to be working fine.

>Has ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.5,
>(ObjectWorks for Smalltalk-80) been ported to the
>Apollo and if so does it run under SR10.2 ?
>... and SR10.1 ?
>If it has not been ported to the Apollo, anyone know
>when it will be; indeed *if* it will be ...

The last I heard was that there was some discussion between Apollo
(Hewlett-Pachard) and ParcPlace as to who was going to pay for
the port to 10.x.  Whether it was 2.3 or 2.5 Smalltalk-80
I do not know.

I would like to get in contact with anyone running or interested
in running Smalltalk-80 on an Apollo system under OS DOMAIN 10.x.
Perhaps if there is enough interest we could influence either Apollo or
ParcPlace to port Smalltalk-80 2.5 to the Apollo workstation.

I can be contacted at either my email address or at
(404) 894-8960.

--
HUGHES,STANLEY
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!sh25

--
LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!sl11

ross@prls.UUCP (Ross Morley) (02/16/90)

In article <1048@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk>  Ashok Gupta writes:

--
-- Does ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.3, run under
-- Apollo SR10.2 (the Apollo operating system version) ?
-- ... and SR10.1 ?
--

I am running ST80 v2.3 under SR10.1 with no problems.

-- Has ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 version 2.5,
-- (ObjectWorks for Smalltalk-80) been ported to the
-- Apollo and if so does it run under SR10.2 ?
-- ... and SR10.1 ?
-- If it has not been ported to the Apollo, anyone know
-- when it will be; indeed *if* it will be ...

Last July we talked with ParcPlace about this. The verdict then was that
they have no plans to support ST80 v2.5 on the Apollo. The reason was
insufficient demand to justify the cost.

In article <6029@hydra.gatech.EDU>  Stan Hughes writes:

-- I would like to get in contact with anyone running or interested
-- in running Smalltalk-80 on an Apollo system under OS DOMAIN 10.x.
-- Perhaps if there is enough interest we could influence either Apollo or
-- ParcPlace to port Smalltalk-80 2.5 to the Apollo workstation.

Yes, we are interested.

--
Ross P. Morley                                  philabs!prls!ross
Philips Research, Sunnyvale                     pyramid!prls!ross