[comp.lang.smalltalk] Public domain SMALLTALK code?

rbennet4@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (robert bennett) (03/21/90)

Is anyone aware of public domain Smalltalk for Mac? and/or
where I might be able to get ahold of a copy.

Also,
Has anyone had good/bad experiences with any commercial smalltalk
interpreters?

Bob Bennett

Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino@cup.portal.com (03/25/90)

I just got a copy of Tim Budd's Little Smalltalk. It took
$30.00 and months to get. My problem is getting it off the
mag tape onto floppies for loading into SCO Xenix 2.3.2.
If you can handle that I'll mail you the tape in exchange
for the dump onto floppies.

rosalia@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Mark Galassi) (03/27/90)

In article <28237@cup.portal.com> Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino@cup.portal.com writes:
>I just got a copy of Tim Budd's Little Smalltalk. It took
>$30.00 and months to get.

If anyone wants Little Smalltalk, they can get it by anonymous ftp
from Oregon State University, CS Department.  There you will find
Tim Budd's version 3, which I believe he never even announced.
Veteran netters will remember that version 2 was posted to comp.sources.unix.

Version 3 is nice.  He fixes a lot of annoying things about version 2,
like the fact you could not do

foo <- SomeClass new

but you had to do something hideous like

globalNames at: #foo put: (SomeClass new)

Another interesting thing is the beginning of a graphical interface (optional)
using the stdwin package, which has drivers for X, curses and probably
suntools.  Only the X version works, though last I looked it was
not great.

I like Tim Budd's work, though clearly there is a lot of Smalltalk stuff
not there.  I think people should take a look at it, and consider the
possibility of making a GNU smalltalk, which is a real smalltalk with
the option of having no graphics, and ***free***.

Anyway, that is fixed in version 3, available on cs.orst.edu.  I found
it by chance.
--
    {These opinions are mine, and should be everybody else's :-)}
	Mark Galassi		rosalia@dirac.physics.sunysb.edu