[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk/V MAC

djd@ziebmef.mef.org (David Dmytryshyn) (10/08/89)

A little while back, I posted to comp.sys.mac.programmer
regarding Smalltalk/V for the macintosh, and forgot to
cross-post to the obvious...  So, here goes again...
I'm looking for comments on Smalltalk/V by Digitalk for
the Macintosh.  Even the most general of comments are
welcomed, as I'm a Smalltalk neophyte, but just oh so
intrigued by it..

David..

- no fancy sig.

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (10/20/89)

In article <1989Oct7.142935.1463@ziebmef.mef.org> djd@ziebmef.mef.org
(David Dmytryshyn) writes:

 > I'm looking for comments on Smalltalk/V by Digitalk for the Macintosh.

I use DigiTalk SmallTalk V/Mac, and I love it.  It's easier to use
than the PC version, and I like it better than ParcPlace ST-80 on
the Mac.  The only problem is the limited support for color.  If
you want colorful windows, stick with the V/286 EGA version on the PC.

--Barry Kort

ogden@nmsu.edu (Bill Ogden) (10/24/89)

I would think that the portablility between Smalltalk/Vmac and
DigiTalk's PC version would be very good.  Is this true or wishful
thinking?

Bill Ogden  ogden@nmsu.edu

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (10/25/89)

In article <OGDEN.89Oct24093457@helios.nmsu.edu> ogden@nmsu.edu
(Bill Ogden) writes:

 > I would think that the portablility between Smalltalk/Vmac and
 > DigiTalk's PC version would be very good.  Is this true or wishful
 > thinking?

True for the most part.  Incompatibilities include ColorForms and
BiColorForms on the PC version, which use the EGA adaptor, and
differences in the windows/menus which are available on the Mac.
(Mac supports MenuBar menus in addition to PopUp menus.)

I have been able to convert between ST-80, V/286, and V/Mac in at
most two days of hacking.

--Barry Kort

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (10/31/89)

They claim it is.  There are minor differences, but one can work them
out.  Mostly to do with the user-interface classes; it helps to dig
into those deeply when you get the thing to understand *EXACTLY* what
they are doing.

andrew@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Andrew Jones) (04/05/90)

A little while back I posted a message asking whether there are any
serious problems with use of Smalltalk/V MAC for teaching an introductory
Smalltalk course. I have received a number of replies, and would like to
thank those who responded. The general consensus of opinion seems to be
that Smalltalk/V MAC is perfectly adequate for teaching purposes. A couple
of bugs have been mentioned:

A bug in the "/" method for negative integers (appearing only in the
68000 version); and
Suspected occasional strange behaviour in the debugger.

It seems that for straightforward Smalltalk programming, Smalltalk/V MAC
presents no serious problems.

I have responded to those who sent me mail concerning my query. However,
my reply to Kent Beck keeps on bouncing so please forgive my responding to
him as part of this posting ...

Yes, I was one of those who attended the Smalltalk-80 course Kent gave in
Marlow (near London, UK) about 4 years ago. I am a satisfied customer!

Andrew
======