[comp.lang.smalltalk] Announcing the release of GNU Smalltalk version 1.0

sbyrne@nfsun.UUCP (Steve Byrne) (03/24/90)

I am happy to announce the availability of GNU Smalltalk, version 1.0.

GNU Smalltalk is written in highly portable C.  It is known compile and run
on a variety of machines including Suns, NeXTs, DECStation 3100s, and was even
recently ported to an Atari ST.  GNU Smalltalk is a reasonably complete
implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language defined in "Smalltalk-80: The
Language and its Implementation" by Adele Goldberg and David Robson.  It does
not feature a graphical user interface (yet), but does have a mechanism to call
C functions from Smalltalk methods, with the appropriate automatic type
conversions.  The README file describes in more detail some of the features of
GNU Smalltalk; the texinfo file fully describes all the features of GNU
Smalltalk.

AVAILABILITY

GNU Smalltalk is available for anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu as
pub/gnu/smalltalk-1.0.tar.Z.  It is about 350k compressed.

Bugs, suggestions, or even offers of assistance may be mailed to
bug-gnu-smalltalk@prep.ai.mit.edu.  I have included a bunch of ideas for future
projects in the manual; please feel free to ask about them, or to volunteer to
help out with some of them.  Some people have reported having trouble
with this mailing list address; if you have trouble, you may send mail directly
to me, nfsun!sbyrne@uunet.uu.net, or to bug-gnu-utils@prep.ai.mit.edu.
Overall, the responses that I have received so far have been very positive.

ACKNOWLEDGMENT

I would like to thank the FSF for their high quality tools that were used in
the construction of GNU Smalltalk.  The general availability of tools such as
GCC, Bison, and of course GNU Emacs made the development of GNU Smalltalk not
only possible, but also highly enjoyable.  Thanks, folks!!!

Steve Byrne

P.S. "Smalltalk-80" is a trademark of ParcPlace Systems, Inc.

obrien@aerospace.aero.org (Mike O'Brien) (03/25/90)

Folks, this package is amazing.  For experimentation, teaching or just
playing around, this is an awful lot of software to get for free.  Give
this thing a windowing system and a native-mode compiler, and my problems
with getting Smalltalk for the Amiga will be solved!

Let's pitch in and help make this a great system.
--
Mike O'Brien
obrien@aerospace.aero.org

schang@netcom.UUCP (Sehyo Chang) (03/25/90)

In article <69464@aerospace.AERO.ORG> obrien@anpiel.UUCP (Mike O'Brien) writes:
>Folks, this package is amazing.  For experimentation, teaching or just
>playing around, this is an awful lot of software to get for free.  Give
>this thing a windowing system and a native-mode compiler, and my problems
>with getting Smalltalk for the Amiga will be solved!
>
>Let's pitch in and help make this a great system.
>--
>Mike O'Brien
>obrien@aerospace.aero.org

How about true persistent smalltalk-80?.  By the way one way to get windowing
system for GNU smalltalk is interfacing to PostScript interpreter(using
NeWS or GhostScript).
--
Sehyo Chang						schang@netcom.uucp
Ascent Logic Corp.

turtle@sciences.tmc.edu (Andrew Scherpbier) (03/26/90)

In article <69464@aerospace.AERO.ORG> obrien@anpiel.UUCP (Mike O'Brien) writes:
>Folks, this package is amazing.  For experimentation, teaching or just
>playing around, this is an awful lot of software to get for free.  Give
>this thing a windowing system and a native-mode compiler, and my problems
>with getting Smalltalk for the Amiga will be solved!
>
>Let's pitch in and help make this a great system.
>--
>Mike O'Brien
>obrien@aerospace.aero.org

I'll second that!
I compiled/installed it and it ran just fine.  However, after I got it to work,
I tried to get the Sunview hack working without any luck.  It seems to be
barfing on CFuncs.st
Did anybody get it to work under Sunview?

-----
Andrew "Race Turtle" Scherpbier
SysMgr
San Diego State University
College of Sciences

turtle@sciences.sdsu.edu
...!uunet!ucsd!sdsu!sciences!turtle

johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl/104857600) (04/13/90)

From article <P9H#HC_@rpi.edu>, by fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo):
> You can FTP it from prep.ai.mit.edu.

Forgive the stupid question: I've no FTP access. Any other possibilities
to get it? Listserver? Mailorder?
Thanx, Johnny
--
This does not reflect the   | Johann  Schweigl | DOS?
opinions of my employer.    | johnny@edvvie.at | Kind of complicated