[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk source archives

boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) (06/12/90)

Hi there,

I know it has been asked already but I lost the answer :-(

What the available archive sites for Smalltalk sources?

Thanks in advance,

Franck
--
Franck BOISSIERE                        boissier@irisa.irisa.fr
Prototyping Lab Manager                 boissier@ccettix.UUCP

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun12.080731.20899@irisa.fr>, boissier@irisa.fr (franck
boissiere) says:

>Hi there,
>
>I know it has been asked already but I lost the answer :-(
>
>What the available archive sites for Smalltalk sources?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Franck
>--
>Franck BOISSIERE                        boissier@irisa.irisa.fr
>Prototyping Lab Manager                 boissier@ccettix.UUCP
>C.C.E.T.T.   B.P. 59                    boissier%irisa.irisa.fr@uunet.uu.net
>35512 CESSON SEVIGNE CEDEX  FRANCE
You must be kidding! Despite all the talk about reusability, sharing real code
is a very rare thing to happen, compared to the sources archives for all the
other languages. There were some extraordinary pieces of code made available
in this newsgroup like the category browser for ST V/286 by Max Ott, Tokyo.
My opinion is, that despite the claims Smalltalk is another (excellent)tool for
the ideosyncratic programmer, not the tool for cooperate programming in teams.
One experience is, that it is very hard to share COMPLETE sources, because of
the sometimes radical changes in the system kernel, which you are enforced to
do! Max Otts Project-Category-Browser provides some advantage, but does not
eliminate the problems coming with the extreme dependencies between "modules".
Nevertheless the design advantages you get when using Smalltalk help to
live with the dark side.
Sorry for not havin answered your question properly, but I had the urge to
post this (maybe because I have some concrete problems ccordinating our
programming activities....!-), but maybe someone else will (I would be lucky
to get this kind of info too).
I will post some reusable sources in this group for Smalltalk V/286 within the
next weeks, there is some documentation still lacking for the public eye.
It will include: DAGPane extensions (arrows, labelled arcs, circular structures
Extended search routines (disjunctive wordwise search, macro definitions),
a really reusable IconPane implementation, titled menus, multiple choice menus.
So long -
Thomas
PS.: Has anybody already implemented a regular expression matcher in ST ?
     Well, we would need a STREP......
-------
Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) (06/14/90)

From article <90164.094108MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET>, by MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr):
> the ideosyncratic programmer, not the tool for cooperate programming in teams.
> One experience is, that it is very hard to share COMPLETE sources, because of
> the sometimes radical changes in the system kernel, which you are enforced to

	BAD PROGRAMMING PRATICE

For everything I developped up to know I was NEVER forced to modify the kernel
of Smalltalk-80, I always had to do it in ST/V (is one superior to the other?
may be I won't argue).

My deontolgy is to never modify the base classes (except for bug fixes by
ParcPlace). The only things I put in the base classes are new methods if there
is REALLY no other place to put them. I am right know developping a new
look&feel to one of our project without modifying anyline of the original
window manager, and without disturbing it! And both styles may share the
screen while the whole thing in not stable and tuned.

About sharing code I do know ParcPlace has put pieces of code on ParcBench
unfortunately I don't have the right modem to access it, but I beleive
anyone can (with a US modem).

--

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (06/14/90)

In article <90164.094108MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET>,
MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:
> other languages. There were some extraordinary pieces of code made available
> in this newsgroup like the category browser for ST V/286 by Max Ott, Tokyo.

I wonder how I could get the code for the browser.

Is there anybody willing to re-post or e-mail?

Thanks in advance,

		Andrzej

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)  Phone: (613) 763-2259
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej             Fax:   (613) 763-3283
BitNet:  andrzej@BNR.CA
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7