[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk-80 for MS Windows 3.0

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (06/12/90)

Any information about availability of Smalltalk-80 for Microsoft
Windows version 3.0 would be very appreciated.

I called ParcPlace Systems several times, but every time I was
forced to talk to their messaging system instead of a salesman.
From this point of view, Digitalk is superior, since I obtained
satisfactory information about the release of Smalltalk/V for
Win3 when I called them first time.

BTW, would not it be nice if both PPS and Digitalk were releasing
their products in two versions: one for people like me who mostly
play with the programming (at home) and the second, high powered, for
companies developing commercial applications. The first one would
not include, for example, compilers (or other tools for creating
stand-alone applications), and would be much cheaper (somewhere
around $100.00) than the other, including all bells and whistles,
and costing even more than it does now. Many enthusiasts would spend
hundreds of dollars (a $100.00 or even a little more each) without
hesitation, while they will never, ever, pay $500.00. The policy
like that was exercising by Borland with its Turbo packages - in
my opinion it worked out very well (for both: them and their
customers).

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)  Phone: (613) 763-2259
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej             Fax:   (613) 763-3283
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/12/90)

In article <1990Jun11.175439.12283@bigsur.uucp> andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:
>I called ParcPlace Systems several times, but every time I was
>forced to talk to their messaging system instead of a salesman.
>From this point of view, Digitalk is superior, since I obtained
>satisfactory information about the release of Smalltalk/V for
>Win3 when I called them first time.

Well, ParcPlace is on the net.  (I've never had trouble getting a
live person just by holding the line to ParcPlace, btw.)  Just
send a request to info@parcplace.com.  I usually get an answer
within hours that is complete and helpful.  I have not dealt with
Digitalk, but I think ParcPlace's support is outstanding in both
the marketing and technical areas.   -- Darren

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (06/13/90)

In article <21779@estelle.udel.EDU>, new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
> Well, ParcPlace is on the net.  (I've never had trouble getting a
> live person just by holding the line to ParcPlace, btw.)  Just
> send a request to info@parcplace.com.  I usually get an answer
> within hours that is complete and helpful.  I have not dealt with
> Digitalk, but I think ParcPlace's support is outstanding in both
> the marketing and technical areas.   -- Darren

I have to say sorry, since a nice lady returned my call today.

The information I received is not satisfactory at all (in its merits).
The ST-80 package for Windows 3.0 running on a 386 platform will be
available July 21st (it is GREAT!), and the price will be (and there
is where the trouble starts) US$595.00. If one does not use it as
a development platform for a commercial product, he/she is cut off.
The lady did not seem to feel a pity for me, since she expressed the
opinion that the ST-80 is directed toward a "serious" development.

So, I have to say goodbye to the idea of having a MAC version of ST-80
at work (since I work for the biggest R&D company in Canada and one of
the biggest in the world, there are no problems with expensive platforms),
and a PC-386 (I am a little poorer) version at home.

BTW, the lady was convinced about superiority of the PPS product over
the Digitalk's. BUT, ... I think that a superiority is a function
of many variables.

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)  Phone: (613) 763-2259
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej             Fax:   (613) 763-3283
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

haskins@suna4.cs.uiuc.edu (06/15/90)

When used with Windows 3.0, will the new ST-80 still be limited to
8-character/3-ext filenames?  That is such a _pain_ in DOS.

Lloyd M. Haskins -- haskins@cs.uiuc.edu