[comp.lang.smalltalk] Translating Smalltalk to Classic-Ada

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (07/03/90)

Does anyone know of a tool that can help automate the translation of
Smalltalk code to Classic-Ada code?

Failing that, does anyone have any guidelines on how the (manual)
translation process from Smalltalk to Classic-Ada can be made easier
and more systematic?

Failing that, has anyone translated any of the predefined Smalltalk
classes to Classic-Ada, or developed any functional equivalents?  If
so, would they be willing to share them with the rest of us?
Classic-Ada analogues of the Smalltalk Collection class hierarchy
(there are 35 predefined subclasses of Collection in ParcPlace
Objectworks) would be most helpful.

Thanx in advance!
--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

schang@netcom.UUCP (Sehyo Chang) (07/03/90)

In article <SDL.90Jul2170230@lyra.linus.mitre.org> sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:

>Does anyone know of a tool that can help automate the translation of
>Smalltalk code to Classic-Ada code?
>
>Failing that, does anyone have any guidelines on how the (manual)
>translation process from Smalltalk to Classic-Ada can be made easier
>and more systematic?
>
>Failing that, has anyone translated any of the predefined Smalltalk
>classes to Classic-Ada, or developed any functional equivalents?  If
>so, would they be willing to share them with the rest of us?
>Classic-Ada analogues of the Smalltalk Collection class hierarchy
>(there are 35 predefined subclasses of Collection in ParcPlace
>Objectworks) would be most helpful.
>
>Thanx in advance!
>--

Well, I am not sure how Classic-Ada's class corresponds to Smalltalk
class library. However, there was translator that converts Smalltalk-80
code into Objective-C. For reference see, OOPSLA-87, or contact
Brad Cox at StepStone for detail on how to get the source code. Getting
perfect translation is almost impossible, however, doing reasonable
interpretation with minor quirks given close class libraries is
doable.  lots of luck

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (07/05/90)

In article <11508@netcom.UUCP> schang@netcom.UUCP (Sehyo Chang) writes:

> Well, I am not sure how Classic-Ada's class corresponds to Smalltalk
> class library. However, there was translator that converts Smalltalk-80
> code into Objective-C. For reference see, OOPSLA-87, or contact
> Brad Cox at StepStone for detail on how to get the source code.

This tool ("Producer") I knew about, and if I try building anything
myself, I would try to learn from their experience.  However, the tool
itself seems too specific to Objective-C (it's even written in
Objective-C) to be capable of being modified for Classic-Ada.