[comp.lang.smalltalk] Books on Smalltalk?

night@pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) (06/13/90)

What's a good book to learn smalltalk from?  I'd also like it to be
useful as a reference after I've learned smalltalk.

Please reply by email.  I'll summarize to the net if there's interest.

Trip Martin
night@pawl.rpi.edu
--

Trip Martin
night@pawl.rpi.edu

PARKER@.Prime.COM (06/27/90)

    Take a look at "Inside Smalltalk", by LaLond and Pugh (of JOOP fame)
published by Prentice Hall.  I fond it a nice combination of the red
book (how do I work this thing) the blue book (what is all this stuff)
and more: sections that described the language in terms used in describing
other programming languages (pass by reference, binding time) which
are strangely lacking in other books on Smalltlak I've seen.
    In teaching a course on Smalltalk, I used the blue book and Pinson
and Weiner: I will use LaLonde and Pugh the next time round.

                             - jeff parker
                             - Prime Computer
                             - parker@s37.com

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (06/29/90)

In article <7030003@hpcupt1.HP.COM> dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) writes:

> >> I highly recommend: Pinson and Wiener "An Introduction to Object Oriented
> >> Programming and Smalltalk", Addison-Wesley 1988. Omar Foda.
> >
> >Obviously, this is a rather subjective area.  Personally, I found the
> >Pinson and Wiener book to be very confusing.  The blue or purple book
>
> Obviously. But I agree with the last opinion. (And our course instructor
> apologized for picking it as the class text!) For me, anyway, it was the
> literature equivalent of eating sawdust--very dry.
> Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion to replace it...

I recommend:  "Inside Smalltalk," by W. LaLonde and J. Pugh; Prentice
Hall, 1990.  Volume I has just become available (volume II is due out
next year).  Volume I contains numerous nontrivial examples which
really show how the various classes of Smalltalk can "play together"
effectively.

--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (07/02/90)

Does "Inside Smalltalk" cover different ST implementations? At least their
articles in JOOP did.

johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu (07/05/90)

"Inside Smalltalk" is just Smalltalk-80.

It is a very good book.  It not only describes the nuts and bolts
of Smalltalk, it also does a good job of describing the big picture.
It describes design tradeoffs, gives an idea of how to debug
Smalltalk programs, and so on.  I, too, plan to use it in my
OOP course this fall.

Ralph Johnson