[comp.lang.smalltalk] X version of Smalltalk?

bergman@scripps.edu (Larry Bergman) (07/18/90)

Does anyone know of an X implementation of Smalltalk?
I'm interested in running the program on one machine
and displaying/working on the other - both machines
running X.

Thanks for any lead you can offer,

Larry

chappy@cs.qmw.ac.uk (CHAPMAN) (07/24/90)

In article <448@riscsm.scripps.edu> bergman@scripps.edu (Larry Bergman) writes:
>Does anyone know of an X implementation of Smalltalk?
>I'm interested in running the program on one machine
>and displaying/working on the other - both machines
>running X.
>
>Thanks for any lead you can offer,
>
>Larry

Out of interest I am at present undertaking a 6 month
dissertation for my MSc titled "A Smalltalk User Interface
Based on X11".  I am working on one machine and forcing
appropriate output through another running X11.  I say
appropriate since at present I can only establish a connection,
create/map windows/pixmaps and draw lines.  I am working on
fonts and the MVC paradigm since I wish to keep Smalltalk as
unchanged as possible. One of my biggest problems is making
Smalltalk do what it can already do.  I can run the 'Pen'
through the server using existing Smalltalk code and a few
changes. It works surprizingly fast and can easily be
optimised.  I am spending a lot of time organising a suitable
Class hierachy for Connections, Drawables etc which will enable
to use resources provided by the server ie. windows, fonts etc.

I would be extremely pleased to hear peoples views and ideas on
running Smalltalk on top of X11 since there is obvious room for
enhancement ie making Smalltalk more portable, smaller(ie not
having to do its own window management) and more powerful
(enhanced graphics/fonts provided by the server).  Any comments
are welcome.

Thanks Dave.