[comp.lang.smalltalk] SmallTalk on PM OS/2

jeff@cornea.mitre.org (Jeff Graber) (07/20/90)

I like to hear if anyone out there is working with Smalltalk V/PM in the
os/2 PM environment.  We have been using it with some success and I'd
like to see what others are experiencing with it.

Thanks a lot.

Jeff Graber

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (07/25/90)

In article <113958@linus.mitre.org>,
	jeff@cornea.mitre.org.UUCP (Jeff Graber) writes:
>I like to hear if anyone out there is working with Smalltalk V/PM in the
>os/2 PM environment.  We have been using it with some success and I'd
>like to see what others are experiencing with it.

I am a heavy user of STVPM and have a lot of stuff to give away.
This code is tailored for Smalltalk/V for PM version 1.0 only.
All code is in the public domain.

fixes to objectDeepCopy and objectShallowCopy;

a fix to allow full pathnames in the Open File dialog box;

lots of new kinds of collections, including RectArray, SparseArray, BitArray,
BooleanArray, LinkedCollection, LinkedSet, SortedLinkedCollection, Sorted-
LinkedSet, CharacterInterval, Tree, IdentitySet, NumericSet, CharacterSet;

Generator, a class for creating Icon-style generators;

Sequence and descendants, which handle infinite-length stream-like objects,
including GeneratedSequence, Random, and ProbabilityDistributions of various
kinds, including exponential, gamma, normal, uniform, Bernoulli, geometric,
binomial, Poisson, and arbitrary sample spaces;

a new option in ClassHierarchyBrowser to display the complete protocol of
the current class (all the messages it accepts);

a completely revamped Magnitude/Number system, with extensible mixed-mode
arithmetic and new classes Complex, NonFiniteNumber (infinite and infinitesimal
numbers), and Timestamp;

hacks to make DynamicDataExchange easier to use outside the ApplicationWindow
context;

possibly other things.

Interested?  Send email.
--
cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban

etstjan@dutepp1.tudelft.nl (Jan van Oorschot) (07/26/90)

jeff@cornea.mitre.org (Jeff Graber) writes:

>I like to hear if anyone out there is working with Smalltalk V/PM in the
>os/2 PM environment.  We have been using it with some success and I'd
>like to see what others are experiencing with it.

We are using STV/PM for simulation purposes and network performance analysis.
The OS/2 version of ST/V is, in my opinion, the best of the entire range.
The new version (1.1) has less obvious bugs than the 1.0 version and is
quite reliable.

Main advantages are (in relation to non-OS/2 versions):

	- good integration with OS
	- less memory restrictions
	- stand-alone executable possible

Main disadvantages are

	- large executables
	- not compatible with smalltalk-80
	- parameter conversion between STV/PM <-> DLL
	- no real multitasking (just 2 threads used)

Jan

---

ir. Jan van Oorschot                 Delft University of Technology
JPMvOorschot@et.tudelft.nl           Mekelweg 4
tel +31 15.786179                    P.O.Box 5031
fax +31 15.784898                    2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands