[comp.lang.smalltalk] smalltalk/v tsr problems

noodle@oak.circa.ufl.edu (08/08/90)

One thing to remember people, when smalltalk/v comes up, it will grab all
the memory it can get its hands on, UNLESS you tell it not to with a command
line parameter.  I forget the actual letters, but they are in the smalltalk
manual.  You cant even shell to DOS unless you invoked smalltalk with something
like  v /D:2048 to save 2048K for the shell.  Unfourtunately this habit of
grabbing memory causes all kinds of problems.  Try (after backing up your image)
using WordPerfect 5.1 to edit something and then quit and enter smalltalk and
modify a few moethods somewhere.  If you then exit saving the image, it is
entirely possible that next time you invoke the image, the test you see for a
method will contain part of the text you edited in WordPerfect.  The method is
fine unless you try to recompile it at which point you get all kinds of problems
The point to all this inane rambling is that you must specify to smalltalk how
you are using the memory in the system, or it will take what it can get its
hands on.  The exception error on person mentioned I have run into many times
before.  It seems that whenever I exit out of smaltalk using the keyboard, the
image becomes corrupted and I am unable to get back into smalltalk. All I can
say is that I hope you have backups of your work.  I love smalltalk/V286.  I
think there is nothing better for fast prototyping, but it still has alot of
bugs which are at lest annoying and at worst can set you back weeks in work.

klimas@astro.pc.ab.com (08/08/90)

In article <0093ADB8.61087B80@CEDAR.CIRCA.UFL.EDU>, noodle@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
> grabbing memory causes all kinds of problems.  Try (after backing up your image)
> using WordPerfect 5.1 to edit something and then quit and enter smalltalk and
> modify a few moethods somewhere.  If you then exit saving the image, it is
> entirely possible that next time you invoke the image, the test you see for a
> method will contain part of the text you edited in WordPerfect.  The method is
> fine unless you try to recompile it at which point you get all kinds of problems
	I have been using Smalltalk/V286 with WP 5.0 for over a year and have
	never experienced this phenomena.

> It seems that whenever I exit out of smaltalk using the keyboard, the
> image becomes corrupted and I am unable to get back into smalltalk.
	What is "Exit out of Smalltalk using the keyboard"?   All that I can
	say is that we have some images that are used daily and are many months
	old with no problems in them.

> say is that I hope you have backups of your work.  I love smalltalk/V286.  I
> think there is nothing better for fast prototyping, but it still has alot of
> bugs which are at lest annoying and at worst can set you back weeks in work.
	I think one needs to be a little careful here as we have found V286
	to be remarkably reliable and bug free (and yes we also run with a
	ton, 163Kb, of TSR's).  Is it possible that there is some other
	problem, like a BIOS problem, an initially corrupted image, a
	rogue miscreant TSR, etc..