[comp.lang.smalltalk] Getting rid of the development environment?

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (08/16/90)

After completing an application, an image is a mixture of development
oriented parts and parts needed by the application. The former occupies
the larger fraction, I guess. Are there any easy ways to check for those
classes/methods/objects which are not addressed by an application and can
therefore be removed? Best way would be an automatic solution which is
not trivial: All application procedures have to be simulated, crossreferences
have to be established. The cloning mechanisms in ST V need the explicit
mentioning of the classes/methods to be removed.
Any help is welcome -
Thomas
-------
Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

timm@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Tim Menzies) (08/18/90)

In article <90228.105114MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET> MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:
>After completing an application, an image is a mixture of development
>oriented parts and parts needed by the application. The former occupies
>the larger fraction, I guess. Are there any easy ways to check for those
>classes/methods/objects which are not addressed by an application and can
>therefore be removed? Best way would be an automatic solution which is
>not trivial: All application procedures have to be simulated, crossreferences
>have to be established. The cloning mechanisms in ST V need the explicit
>mentioning of the classes/methods to be removed.
>Any help is welcome -

WARNING, WARNING. I once rang up the technical department of Digitalk about
some problem I was having with the cloner. After dancing around my question
for a while, there was a little silence, then the techo I was talking to said
that the cloner was a very flaky bit of software and that different runs of
the cloner would come up with different errors.

So I stopped using the cloner. I thought a bit about what bits of the system
I would throw away prior to releasing a Smalltalk/V application. Here's my
list. Would the net like to add to t?

	Class HierarchyBrowser: delete class
	ClassbROWSER:           delete class
	ClassReader:           delete class
	Debuuger:           delete class
	Inspector:           delete class
	DictionaryInspector:           delete class

	Compiler:		delete class
	Behavior:		remove sourceCodeAt:

nothing can now be explored. souce code is fixed and can't be checked.

	ScreenDispatcher:	change the initialize class method so that
				your application main menu was "the"
				main menu (then actually perform the
				initialization).
	SystemDictionary:	change the start-up method to throw the
				user into your application at start up.
	Object:			change the error: instance method to
				write the error to a file, then exit with
				"Smalltalk forgetImage"

All this should happen after a "Smalltalk compressSources".

Also, for total security, I'd like to remove sources.sml. Does anyone on the
net know if I can run a Smalltalk/V system with an empty sources.sml?