[net.movies] My Annual Appeal

render@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/15/85)

 Written  8:34 pm  Dec 12, 1985 by evincent@oberon.UUCP :

> Another classic film of the Christmas season is the version of
> Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" starring Alastair Sim.  A
> well-crafted holiday film.

Yeah!  If you want to watch the best Christmas movie around, look for this one.
Even George C. Scott admitted in a recent interview that when he was approached
to do a new version of "A Christmas Carol," his first response was that it was
a stupid idea, because Alastair Sim did as good a version as could be done.
(And Scott did a pretty good job himself.)

                                     Hal Render
                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4} ! uiucdcs ! render
                                     render@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (12/16/85)

> /* Written  1:53 pm  Dec 10, 1985 by josh@ism70 in ISM780:net.movies */
> If I remember correctly, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is now released in
> color using the computer coloration process.  It is indeed a
> classic and it would be interesting to see the color rendition.
> /* End of text from ISM780:net.movies */
>
> I haven't heard of It's_a_Wonderful_Life being computer-colored. A_Miracle_
> on_34th_Street was done, however. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and
> thoroughly enjoyed it. (Just saw ...Wonderful_Life this past weekend, and
> it was in B&W.) Some people have a disdain for the computerized color,
> feeling it's an affrontery to the "purity" of the original. Personally,
> I don't have a problem with it. I think there are certain films that were shot
> in black & white simply because that was the default; they didn't really
> *use* the black & white film to its best advantage.

I,for one, would like to go on record (big deal) as voting against color
being added to black and white films. I think part of the appeal to old
films is the fact that they were the films I grew up watching. I look
forward to watching _Miracle_on_34th_Street every Christmas and when it
came out this year it was in (gasp) color. It borders on be robbed of
part of your past.

The people in charge have said that I can't watch in black and white and
I miss it I guess.

dianeh@ISM780.UUCP (12/19/85)

/* Written  3:57 pm  Dec 16, 1985 by bobn@bmcg in ISM780:net.movies */
>I,for one, would like to go on record (big deal) as voting against color
>being added to black and white films. I think part of the appeal to old
>films is the fact that they were the films I grew up watching. I look
>forward to watching _Miracle_on_34th_Street every Christmas and when it
>came out this year it was in (gasp) color. It borders on be robbed of
>part of your past.
>
>The people in charge have said that I can't watch in black and white and
>I miss it I guess.
/* End of text from ISM780:net.movies */

Well, you can always turn off the color on your TV set, or you could watch
it on a black & white set to begin with. Or you could decide to give it a
chance--who knows, you might even like it better than what you remember.
After all, if you grew up when TV was primarily black & white, and you'd
gotten used to seeing, say, Gone_With_the_Wind that way, would you have
been upset the first time you saw it in color?

Diane Holt
Interactive Systems Corp.
ima!ism780!dianeh

"Ahh, but it's the past.
 Don't you understand?
 It's only the past!"

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (12/21/85)

> Well, you can always turn off the color on your TV set,
There are some TV sets that don't let you do that;  I own one.
O.K.  I know it's a minor quibble.  More importantly, the
the addition of the colour changes the B&W picture.
I would be very upset if someone did that to a film like
The Third Man, which won an Oscar for Cinematography, or Casablanca.

> Or you could decide to give it a chance--who knows, you might
> even like it better than what you remember.
I did (Miracle on 34th Str)  and I didn't like it.  The colour was poor
and no attempt was made to colour the backgrounds in any large scale
scene.
> After all, if you grew up when TV was primarily black & white, and you'd
> gotten used to seeing, say, Gone_With_the_Wind that way, would you have
> been upset the first time you saw it in color?

Gone with the Wind was never shown when TV was primarily B&W.  Nor were
any other colour movies.  It was one of the ways cinema tried to compete
with TV.  The argument is specious anyway.  If a film was made in colour
then when you see it in colour you experience everything the film maker
intended.  If you see it in B&W you are missing out so how could you
be disappointed at finally seeing it in colour?
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (12/26/85)

In article <1894@saber.UUCP>, msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:
> I would be very upset if someone did that to a film like
> The Third Man, which won an Oscar for Cinematography, or Casablanca.

Get ready to be upset.  They are colorizing Casablanca.  But from one
who has seen the B&W version 15 times, I must say I am looking forward
to it.  The only scene I really worried about is the airport at the end.

> Gone with the Wind was never shown when TV was primarily B&W.  Nor were
> any other colour movies.  It was one of the ways cinema tried to compete
> with TV.  The argument is specious anyway.  If a film was made in colour
> then when you see it in colour you experience everything the film maker
> intended.  If you see it in B&W you are missing out so how could you
> be disappointed at finally seeing it in colour?

I grew up in a house that had a B&W TV as long as I lived there.  I got my
first color set in 1975.  I know that GWTW, and many other "Color Classics"
had been on before then.  And I also know that I was not out of the norm
with my friends and relatives.  But I do agree with the rest of your
argument.