[comp.lang.smalltalk] what is smalltalk/V

bruno@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bruno Melli) (08/30/90)

Excuse a newcomer ignorance, but what is smalltalk/V (as opposed
to smalltalk 80) ?

Thanks,

bruno.

mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (08/31/90)

bruno@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bruno Melli) writes:
>Excuse a newcomer ignorance, but what is smalltalk/V (as opposed
>to smalltalk 80) ?

Smalltalk/V is a PC-based Smalltalk sold by Digitalk.  They also have
versions for the Mac (Smalltalk/V Mac), OS/2 (Smalltalk/V PM), and
286 and higher PCs (Smalltalk/V 286).

You can buy Smalltalk/V for around $80, and Smalltalk/V 286 for around
$130 (it retails for $199).

They come with their own windowing system, include all the normal browsers,
etc, and have many built in classes.  I think they're pretty neat
products.

Smalltalk/V 286 seems to occasionally hang my PC up, though.  Haven't
quite figured out why/when yet.

					-Dave

Dave "mr question" McIntyre     |      "....say you're thinking about a plate
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu      |       of shrimp.....and someone says to
office : 518-276-8633		|	you 'plate,' or 'shrimp'......"