[comp.lang.smalltalk] Bugs in Smalltalk/V PM

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (09/10/90)

I recently installed Smalltalk/V PM and have found it to have some
strange behaviors.  Several of the dialogue boxes have garbage binary
text in them.  In fact, all of the boxes Yes/No/Cancel are like this so
I have to guess what the question is.  The system also periodically dies
(I'm running with a lot of memory - 12 Meg - but little free disk space -
like around 1 Meg) and I get a pop up from PM that a protection exception
has occurred.  I lose my image and sometimes have to reboot (soft).
Do I have a defective version of code?  It's identified as version 1.00.

P.S. I wrote to Digitalk at their compuserve address and never heard from
them!  Do they provide good customer support?  I guess I'll have to call
their number.

Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 40 Everett Avenue
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

jwh@boston.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Howe) (09/11/90)

In article <49483@brunix.UUCP>, dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:

|> I recently installed Smalltalk/V PM and have found it to have some
|> strange behaviors.  Several of the dialogue boxes have garbage binary
|> text in them.  In fact, all of the boxes Yes/No/Cancel are like this so
|> I have to guess what the question is.  The system also periodically dies
|> (I'm running with a lot of memory - 12 Meg - but little free disk space -
|> like around 1 Meg) and I get a pop up from PM that a protection exception
|> has occurred.  I lose my image and sometimes have to reboot (soft).
|> Do I have a defective version of code?  It's identified as version 1.00.

What version of OS/2 are you running.  You need to be running 1.2 or be running
1.1 with the latest CSD's applied.  The current version of Smalltalk
V/PM is 1.1.
You should have received a free upgrade if your software was registered.  I've
found Digitalk's support to be very good.  I've never tried their phone support
but they have a forum on Compuserve and they have been very responsive
to questions
posted to that forum.

James W. Howe			   internet: jwh@ifs.umich.edu
University of Michigan             uucp:     uunet!mailrus!ifs.umich.edu!jwh
Ann Arbor, MI   48103-4943

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (09/11/90)

I'm running ST 1.0 and OS/2 1.1 as shipped.
--

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (09/12/90)

In article <49483@brunix.UUCP>, dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:
> I recently installed Smalltalk/V PM and have found it to have some
> strange behaviors.  Several of the dialogue boxes have garbage binary
> text in them.  In fact, all of the boxes Yes/No/Cancel are like this so
	This looks like you are running OS/2 rev 1.1 without the OS/2
	bug fixes installed that come with OS/2 as two additional
	floppies.
> I have to guess what the question is.  The system also periodically dies
> (I'm running with a lot of memory - 12 Meg - but little free disk space -
> like around 1 Meg) and I get a pop up from PM that a protection exception
> has occurred.  I lose my image and sometimes have to reboot (soft).
> Do I have a defective version of code?  It's identified as version 1.00.
	There has been an update to /V-PM sent to REGISTERED users
	about a month or more ago, but your problems appear to be more
	of the kind that are associated with running OS/2 rev 1.1 without
	the bug fixes installed.  There is something in writing on this
	phenomena in a /V-PM read me file I think.  I have been using /V-PM
	with the upgrade installed on OS/2 rev 1.2 with no such problems.
	Marginal memory in a clone has also been seen to pass all diagnostics
	possible and yet unexplainably hang on certain OS/2 applications.

> P.S. I wrote to Digitalk at their compuserve address and never heard from
> them!  Do they provide good customer support?  I guess I'll have to call
> their number.

	The Digitalk folks seem to very good about responding on BIX or
	to direct phone inquiries, but check the above possibilities first
	before screaming at them.