[comp.lang.smalltalk] Running Smalltalk without *any* window.

gupta@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Ashok Gupta) (09/11/90)

I posted the following request some two months ago but didn't get a response.
If someone could help, *please* do ...

Anyone know how to run Smalltalk without it opening a window or taking over
the display ?

I need to run it as a server, in a system of co-operating knowledge bases.
It needs to run on a machine without the user of the machine being aware of it.

Running it in a small window or reducing it to an icon is not acceptable.

BTW, I'm using ParcPlace ST ver 2.3, on an Apollo 3500, running SR9.7, BSD 4.2.
--
Ashok "Ash" Gupta
Post : Philips Research Labs, Crossoak Lane, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5HA, U.K.

takamine@hpcc01.HP.COM (Derek Takamine) (09/13/90)

I wanted to do the same thing as you did on an HP9000 running
v 2.3.  I called Parc Place Tech support and was informed it was
not possible.  It had to do with the display driver being closely
tied into the rest of the processing, or something like that....
Give them a call, maybe things have changed or another solution
can be discovered.

Regards,

Derek Takamine

dwiggins@atsun.a-t.com (Don Dwiggins) (09/29/90)

You might try Tim Budd's Little Smalltalk or Gnu Smalltalk, neither of which
assume a windowing environment (and both of which provide source, I
believe).  The good news is that it shouldn't be too difficult to turn it
into a server; the bad news is that you'll be dealing with two different
variations of Smalltalk.

Good Luck,
--
Don Dwiggins				"If you think training is expensive,
Ashton-Tate, Inc.			 try ignorance"

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (09/30/90)

In article <DWIGGINS.90Sep28180413@atsun.a-t.com> dwiggins@atsun.a-t.com (Don Dwiggins) writes:
>You might try Tim Budd's Little Smalltalk or Gnu Smalltalk, neither of which
>assume a windowing environment...

Actually, the latest Little Smalltalk does include support for the portable
STDWIN package, which consequently means that LST now does do windows.
I seem to recall a browser or 2 included which make use of this environment.
I never tried to build Little Smalltalk against STDWIN, so I can't comment
further.  Has anyone done this?  What's it like??

-scott

budd@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Budd) (10/01/90)

Yes, a version of Little Smalltalk was released which tried to use
the STDWIN windowing package.  Unfortunately, STDWIN was not as bug-free
as I would have liked (it may be better now), and for lack of people-power
(student-power?) the project languished.  Most people continue to use the
tty interface to little smalltalk, which is much more stable.

Little smalltalk can be ftp'ed from cs.orst.edu, by the way.
--tim budd